What are some tricks to get a 9 month old to sleep through the night without a bottle, without a cereal bottle and without nursing to sleep...?

I have tried everything to get my son to sleep through the night. Even sleeping with mommy and daddy doesn't work. I can't wait tell 12 for him to sleep tell 5. Just any help anyone has will be greatful!!!

shortimicmama

Asked by shortimicmama at 3:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hopefully by now you have an established bedtime routine (ex: bath/bottle/story/songs/bed) and stick to the same bed time every night. If not, you've got to start ASAP if you want him to have good sleep habits. My son started to sleep through the night consistently when we no longer gave him a bottle right before bed. Instead, he had it before his bath. Make sure that you are laying him in bed drowsy but awake (not asleep in your arms, for example) so that when he does wake up in the middle of the night and look for you again.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think it's very rare that a 9 month old will sleep through the night w/ no bottle or nursing. We all wish our babies would just go to bed, but's it's part of the package. We all went through it. Enjoy it, & feel priveliged that you get to be the one caring for your angel.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• shoot when u find out let me know my 7 month old won't sleep through the night either!
    itzanangelthang

Answer by itzanangelthang at 3:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There's no guarantee that he will sleep through the night just yet, but you can help him out by making sure he naps well during the day, winds down activity and noise at least a 1/2 hour before bedtime, and is comfortably dressed for sleep. If he likes a particular stuffed animal, put it into his bed at night so that he has something there to help soothe him back to sleep. Make sure he's well fed during the day.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• What is the rest of his schedule like?

(I'm not saying when mine slept through 9pm-7am...you'll hate me)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My 5 month old sleeps through the night but he won't even fall asleep for a nap without a bottle. We have a bedtime routine, but even when he's so tired he can't hold his head up he will NOT calm down unless he has a bottle. I refuse to let him CIO because once he starts crying, he won't stop until someone picks him up and carries him around for a while. He goes to the doctor next week and I plan on asking. I'll let you know if I find anything that works for us!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• we let our daughter cry her self to sleep that's the next bet
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009