What exactly does baby eczema look like?

Just wondering. My daughter doesn't have it or anything...but I'd like to know what to look out for, just in case =D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had little pink/red patches that were sort of scaley. Basically, it looks like a really dry patch of skin. Using Baby Aveeno or Eucerin cream works best.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When my son had it it looked like little scaly things on his forehead and scalp. They were the color of his skin, maybe a shade darker. I heard eczema looks like a red rash but it looked nothing like that. I could scrape them off real gently but it wasn't dry, it kinda crumbled lol. I left his scalp alone cuz everytime some of it came off his hair came too, and he didn't have much to spare!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with Jacobsmom it will be red/scaley. my 18 month old has had it sense birth. The best thing is an oatmeal bath or even that aveeno bath creme. its a thick creme and it works the best. the same as the johnsons oatmeal bath wash.
    nicoleladams19

Answer by nicoleladams19 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Little dry patches of pink/red skin ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Eczema is really dry skin. It is red and a little bumpy.  It is mostly on cheeks, the crook of elbows, behind the knees, or other areas that sweat a lot.  jessicarae it sounds to me like what you are describing is cradlecap.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When my son's eczema would act up in the dry months, he had the red flaky bumpy rash on his inner elbows and knees when he was little. Now that he is older, it almost resembles a "hickey like" rash. Little flat red and purple dots on his chest. I got scared the first time I seen it, but the doctor confirmed it was a mild case of eczema and hydro-cortisone cleared it up.

xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2009