Can YOU file head of household??

This is starting to irritate me. To help keep some of you from robbing the IRS and getting caught sometime down the line and having to pay penalties...Here are the Head of Household guidelines from the IRS. Read them. Know them. Stop giving bad advice to people.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041781

You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements.

You are unmarried or “considered unmarried” on the last day of the year.

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year.

A “qualifying person” lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the “qualifying person” is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you. See Special rule for parent , later, under Qualifying Person .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Keeping Up a Home

To qualify for head of household status, you must pay more than half of the cost of keeping up a home for the year. You can determine whether you paid more than half of the cost of keeping up a home by using the following worksheet.

Cost of Keeping Up a Home

Amount
    You
    Paid Total
    Cost
    Property taxes $ $
    Mortgage interest expense
    Rent
    Utility charges
    Upkeep and repairs
    Property insurance
    Food consumed
    on the premises
    Other household expenses
    Totals $ $

Minus total amount you paid ( )

Amount others paid $

con't
    Anonymous

• If the total amount you paid is more than the amount others paid, you meet the requirement of paying more than half the cost of keeping up the home.

Costs you include. Include in the cost of upkeep expenses such as rent, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, insurance on the home, repairs, utilities, and food eaten in the home.

If you used payments you received under Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or other public assistance programs to pay part of the cost of keeping up your home, you cannot count them as money you paid. However, you must include them in the total cost of keeping up your home to figure if you paid over half the cost.
    Anonymous

• AND ANYWAY- you can only file if you and your spouse were seperated for AT LEAST 6 months and he WAS NOT LIVING WITH YOU on the last day of the year.....I'LL COPY AND PASTE THAT FOR YOU TOO.
    Anonymous

• Considered Unmarried
    To qualify for head of household status, you must be either unmarried or considered unmarried on the last day of the year. You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year if you meet all the following tests.

You file a separate return (defined earlier under Joint Return After Separate Returns ).

You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.

Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances. See Temporary absences, later.

Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year. (See Home of qualifying person , later, for rules applying to a child's birth, death, or temporary absence during the year.)

con't.......
    Anonymous

• con't
    You must be able to claim an exemption for the child. However, you meet this test if you cannot claim the exemption only because the noncustodial parent can claim the child using the rules described later in Children of divorced or separated parents under Qualifying Child or in Support Test for Children of Divorced or Separated Parents under Qualifying Relative . The general rules for claiming an exemption for a dependent are explained later under Exemptions for Dependents .

Anonymous

• I filed head of household more then a few times. I was married but seperated and it was fine and legal. Generally speaking most tax preparers will ask you questions to make sure the filing status is correct and most tax programs have audit protection and do the same thing.

Answer by gemgem at 4:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Why. Because I don't cheat the system?? Yeah. I can see in this day of Obama and foodstamps how that seems surprising to you. How I follow the guidelines by the IRS. SHOCKING. I should get fired. *eyeroll*
    Anonymous

• LOL I make more than you. I have a real job too. Cheating people out of their hard earned money in the insurance industry. I just do taxes on the side this time of year. Why so offended because I posted the rules? The rules posted directly from the IRS site? You don't like the rules take it up with the federal government.
    Anonymous

• We have removed at least one answer from this question. Moms are looking for responses from other members that address the question they have asked. Please don't post judgmental or rude answers. They're not appreciated and will be removed by the CafeMom Team.

> The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 4:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Hubby and I always file married filing jointly i never even considered that option and I didn't even know what it was LOL... ,but this year I seen it and I asked my family and they told me NO. So basically that's only for single persons with children I had no clue thank goodness I don't just do things on my own if I have no clue I would have been in trouble :/

Anonymous