How can I improve my impatience?

My daughter just turned 3 and every time I ask her to do something it takes her forever or I have to keep telling her and then I ended up yelling and getting very mad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• By understanding shes 3 yrs old and isnt going to do things the same as an adult.

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Move everything she is not allowed to mess with out of her reach, so the entire house is accessable to her, firstly and this may take getting rid of some stuff to make the house uncluttered.

When you ask her to do something and she is not doing it the way you think, you can show her how, by walking her through it. For example, let's pick up these books and put them in a pile; here, hand them to me, one by one...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Remember being young & how horrible it felt when your mom would lose her temper w/ you over somethng small? It sucks to have the person you love most yell at you for something small. You have to actually try to stay calm. Tell yourself to be more patient because she's your angel. If you feel yourself getting mad, take a step back. You don't want your daughter to learn to yell when she doesn't get her way. Just talk, there is no need to raise your voice.
    Grab her cute lil hands & look in her eyes & softly tell her to do as you would like. If you hold there hands they immediately get your attention, & don't let go until your done speaking. This worked for my child when she didn't listen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Aslo a three year old is still learning how to do thing right, they need LOTS of paience. Don't lose your patience because she can't do things as quickly as an adult would. Save it for a better argument. No need to get all worked up, that makes everyone more worked up if mommy is.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• When you find the answer to that let me know. I have been at parenting for 35 1/2 yrs!...lol and still have 2 kids and 2 grand kids at home, that don't seem to know how to do what I ask even though they have been doing it for a long time. Seriously, she is three years old, so break down what you want her to do in steps. Don't give to many directions and to many task at once. kids this age seem not to process it and therefore get frustrated and quit doing it altogether. and as one post said show her how you want it done don't just expect her to know and don't expect her to be perfect at it the first few times.

debj49

Answer by debj49 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009