Providing child care in your home? Really need help and advice!

I love children.. In high school I took many college credit classes involving children. I use to babysit on average 7 kids at once and I was only 14 years old. I have a belief that adults should think more like children sometimes. But either way back to my point!

I have been wanting to provide child care for only a few kids during the week, but I am worried that my children will feel left out because their mommy is playing with other children and taking care of them? Does that even make sense? My son is 14 months and I am due to give birth this June with my second son!

But then I look at it as my kids will have someone to play with and will learn social skills early and learn to make friends??

I am already a work at home mom, I do 45 minute family fun classes (with all different themes), parent/educator workshops, and 6 week group classes for sign language to infants and parents...

The next things is that I might be moving into an apartment in June/July. Am I still allowed to provide a couple children with services of child care?

Thank you so much in advanced for the help!

BraydinsMommy09

Asked by BraydinsMommy09 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 2, 2012 in Money & Work

• I think you need to hold off until after baby has arrived, and see what your situation is then, some apartments will not rent to you, if you have a child care business your classes sound amazing, and perhaps you could do a few more of them, but where would people take their kids when you have the baby? I would say at tha BARE min. you would need at least a month to recover and not have the baby around other children.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:50 AM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I once worked writing grants for an agency that did childcare for children. The laws, rules and regulations for childcare were in 4 4inch binders. That is alot of responsibility. Contact your Secretary of State and find out what is required in your state for licensing. In terms of your apartment your apt manager can answer that but I would not leave my child in an apartment. Where would they play? There is at least in my state a 30 minute fresh air requirement how would you provide this? Are you certified? Do you have nutrition training? Do you have first aid training? Do you have a Policies and Procedures Manual? Do you have an application, parents Manual, daily forms, etc...?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:57 AM on Apr. 2, 2012

• Check with your county daycare licensing reguarding the requirements. I did at home daycare for many years. It was a great experience for the kids. The only downside is them sharing "their" toys. I suggest putting away any special toys when the other kids are there. They will not be jealous in fact it is the opposite and they enjoy having other kids around. :-) Good Luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:04 AM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I have, will have the certification by my state in May/June. And I did find an apartment is allowed. I'm more worried bout my kids and their mommy being with other kids.... Yes I have all the info and know the business I'm just worried about my own lol. I always have this fear of being a bad mom, but who don't.
    BraydinsMommy09

Comment by BraydinsMommy09 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I have been doing childcare in my home since my youngest was born. Both of my boys enjoy having little ones around. I feel like it did help them with social skills. I say go for it...if it allows you to be home with them, it is great!! Message me if you have any questions or just want to chat!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 3, 2012