I would love some advice/ideas on throwing a Sweet 16 b-day party for my daughter.

Her b-day is the end of May and she's my one and only since, after her, I couldn't have any more kids. So, I have one chance, here, to do it right. I always was bummed that I didn't get a sweet 16 celebration as a kid and I'd love to do something special for her. I've been surfing for ideas, but would love to hear some from you ladies.

Of course, I'm on a budget, so it can't be one of those "Super Sweet 16" parties from MTV, but I still want it fairly nice.

Thanks!

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh yeah and one birthday we rented a limo and the limo took us to get our nails done. We went to a cosmetic school so it was less expensive and all got them done at the same time. Then the limo took us to the mall...even though that was just to be seen in a limo. :) All this will depend on your budget and how many girls your daughter wants to invite. I think I was younger than 16 for both of these and I didn't care about inviting guys so I don't know how well this would work for your daughter.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sorry I must have deleted a sentence at the beginning. My most memorable bday was at an Embassy Suites Hotel. We had a pool party and sleepover. Ladies only of course!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Do a Maskaray Ball my friend got invited to one and she said it was so nice, the color they use were white and black and all the kids were wearing diffrent masks.
    dorahilda1975

Answer by dorahilda1975 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Can't see your profile so I don't know where you are from. What's the weather like at the end of May? What are her main interests. How many guests? Just girls or both sexes? I love parties and if I know the answers to those ?s I will have some suggestions.

I took my daughter and eight friends to NYC for the day. I got l
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ?s Where do you live? What are her main interests? Girls or both sexes at the party? About how many quests? So exciting! I took my daughter and eight friends to NYC for the day. I bought pre made lunches and we went to Central Park for a picnic. We hoped the subway and had dinner at a place she loves. It's a fun place and didn't break the budget. That is what she wanted so that is what we did.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Have you asked your daughter what she would like? Maybe tell her you are promising nothing..but for her to write down three ideas for ways SHE would like to celebrate the day. My sister planned a really elaborate party for her 16 yr old..only to find out her DD wanted nothing more than a day to be with Mom get Mani/pedicures a facial and go to dinner.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• GrnEyedGrandma thats a great idea. I will remember that as I start having parties for my kids in the future.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My mom took my best friend and I to Disney World =] While there our room key was also a "charge it to your room" card =] So whatever we bought we just used the room key and it was delivered so we didn't have to carry things around. It was so much fun =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma - be sure to have your daughter's input first and ask her what she wants.
    For my daughters, they just wanted something different. My oldest wanted a photo session at Glamour Shots so that was her gift. My second daughter wanted a day with her friends at Busch Gardens so that was her gift. My youngest just turned 15 so we have another year.
    One of my daughter's attended a "Sweet 16" party at a banquet hall and on the invite it was required that everyone had to dress semi-formal in either all black or black and white - no all white or other colors. The gifts had to be wrapped the same way. She said it was too fancy and stuffy and not too fun at all. But it was her friend and that's all that mattered.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009