At what age did YOU decide...

To give your baby fruits and veggies? I know my doctor told me that my son has to wait to eat those until he accepts rice cereal. But my son does not like rice cereal at all, I've even tried the cereal with fruit in it. He is about 5 1/2 months and I feel like he's ready to eat some veggies. He's very interested in what I'm eating and opens his mouth to try to get me to feed it to him. He even opens his mouth when I give him tylonol. I also know that he can digest the rice cereal because we've gotten a pretty good amount into his tummy and he poops good.
So yeah, how old were your babies when you first gave them fruits and veggies?
I want to hear everyones story pwease!

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 4:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I nursed my kids and around 7 months started them on cereals, and maybe around week # 2 introduced one fruit or veggie per week. No rush.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I started my kids when they were ready, about 5 months. We only did one at a time to see how they would do and moved on from there...now they eat everything!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 4:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Cereal is NOT needed. It's empty calories. My daughter never had cereal.

I didn't start solids until after 6 months and we started with green beans, and just fed her those for about 3 days, and then we tried a fruit.. We didn't go by color, or by type (fruit/vegetable) just by what we thought she would like.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'd say go for it. Just be careful w/ ones that cause common allergies in children like strawberries. A lil dab of a veggie won't do any harm in my opinion. The worst it could do is change his poo consistancy & color. I think Dr.'s say to stay away in case of possible allergies. But every child is different, if he seems ready I would go with that flow. My daughter didn't eat solid food until she was a year old! I had to breastfeed her all day because she wouldn't take a bottle. Every child is different go with your gut.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i think the first fruit we started with was banana. i mashed it with a little milk (2-3 spoons of whole milk), then i put it in the microwave for a few seconds. The banana was really creamy then and she LOVED it! xD

other fruits we didnt start to feed until she had a good amount of teeth, but thats only because she had problems with chewing. everything that was slippery she wouldnt hold it and choke.. :( sometimes she still does that.

carrots, we mashed until it was like soup since she was 3 1/2 months old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Stir some fruit in the cereal, or mix the cereal with baby juice.

Although some may say cereal is just empty calories it really is the best source for iron when breast milk or formula isn't enough. You could try oatmeal cereal-babies tend to like that more than rice anyhow.

If he's still not taking it, that's fine and just move on to fruits and veggies, but just be aware that's he's getting enough iron.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh and don't make your own baby food with carrots. I read something today about carrots having nitrates (?) in them in some parts of the country and they can cause infants to be anemic, so if you go with carrots buy the baby food jars because they know how to detect the nitrates. Just a little note on home made baby carrots.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 4:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Around 5 months, just recently, we started my son on veggies. He eats in the morning, because he is more happy and alert then. Have him on one thing for 8 days. Then when we switched to squash he noticed it was different, played with it in his mouth. In 4 days we will go to carrots. Around 4 months I started mixing formula with babyfood, sweet potatoes and banana, but he caught an upper respiratory infection. So my husband and I decided until he was better again to stick with the formula. Don't want to be introducing new things to a baby who doesn't feel good.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• By 5 months they each had eaten their first veggies.

If they don't like cereal, they don't like it. Oh, have you tried messing with the texture? Mine actually preferred it "stick to the spoon" thick. My younger two wouldn't eat jarred baby food unless I thickened it up with cereal (they could only eat oatmeal...rice gave them horrible gas)

Just a thought...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I never gave cereal to my younger two. They both hated it and would just spit it out. So we skipped right to applesauce or pears. I think they were both around 5 1/2 months old. My youngest was feeding herself table food by 7 1/2 months and by the time she turned 9 months she refused to eat baby food and only wanted food she could feed to herself.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009