CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!!

I HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THAT CRIES CRIES AND CRIES. SCREAMS SCREAMS SCREAMS. I DONT KNOW WHAT SHE WANTS . WHEN WE GO OUT AND IM DRIVING SHE STARTS SCREAMING. I ASK HER WHAT IS IT THAT SHE WANTS AND SHE WONT TELL ME. SHE DOESNT TALK YET. SHE COULD SAY SOME WORDS BUT SHE DOES UNDERSTAND WHAT I TELL HER. AT NIGHT ITS TERRIBLE. SHE WONT GO TO SLEEP. I TRY TO READ TO HER AND SHE GRABS THE BOOK AND TROWS IT. LIKE AT 1 AM SHE WAKES UP AND WANTS TO SLEEP BETWEEN MY HUSBAND AND I. WE LET LER BUT SHE CRIES AND WE JUST DONT KNOW WHAT SHE WANTS. WE HUG HER KISS HER TRY TO PLAY WITH HER OR EVEN TRY TO GIVE HER FOOD OR SNACKS INCASE SHES HUNGRY BUT SHE JUST DOESNT WHAT ANYTHING. WE BOUGHT HER A NIGHT LIGHT BUT NOTHING IS WORKING. I TOLD HER DR BUT SHE SAID IS NORMAL AND TO TRY TO READ TO HER AND BE LOVING. THATS WHAT WE TRY TO DO BUT SHE JUST DOENT WANT ANYTHING. THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A MONTH. I CANT HANDLE IT AN.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sorry..can't even finish reading your post..YOU are SCREAMING in text. It makes it very difficult to read.
    Anonymous

• i know how you feel. i think its supposed to be part of the terrible twos but it definatly doesnt make it any easier
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter had a hard time communicating with my husband and I. When she would start screaming I would pick her up and say "Honey, SHOW me what you want, point to what it is that you want" Apparently that was alot of the problem, she didn't know how to vocalize what she wanted but she could show you no problem. Be patient and don't raise your voice to her. Talk to her on her level. Go in her room and grab a coloring book and lay down on the floor, invite her to color with you. All of these things can help.
    Anonymous

• Do you like to read to her? Reading books is a great way to teach her vocabulary. She probably knows how to understand it but has troubel saying the words. it will come.

I suggest going to the library (please do) and signing up for story times, and gettnig a bunch of books to bring home. Save some in the vehicle so she has something to look at in the car- find anything that interests her-

SOme great children's authors include Richard Scarry (these books are so much fun), HE Rey (Curious George), Bearenstain bears, franklin the turtle, many many more. Ask for help... Librarians love to help, that's what they're there for, to hep young kids like your daughter grow to love reading...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My kid did that too. I really think he just liked the attention and he was getting plenty of it when he acted that way. I just started making sure he was in a safe place and I let him cry. We would all leave whatever room he was in, because it really was irritating and painful to listen to him. I would stand somewhere where he couldn't see me and I would watch him to make sure he wasn't banging his head or something. Eventually when he realized he wasn't getting attention he started to not do it as much. He would do that to us at night too. He hasn't done that in a long time though, thankfully. That is very stressful. Me and my hubby would end up fighting. I feel your pain.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• throw a little bit of water on her. Not much, just about 1/2 inch. I have heard that that works when they are throwing tantrums. It makes them snap out of it.
    Anonymous

• When she wakes in the night, leave her in her own bed. Trying to play with her, sing to her, read to her, feed her, or anything else in the middle of the night simply reinforces the night wakings. It rewards her for waking up and makes it more likely that she will wake up the next night.

When she screams, just softly tell her that she is hurting Mommy's ears - cup your hands over your ears to show her what you mean. And then ask her to show you what she wants.

When she is screaming in the car, simply tell her that you don't know what is wrong but you will try to help her when you stop. It took a couple monts but my daughter learned that when mommy is driving, mommy is driving. Mommy is not fetching toys from the floor, getting snacks from her bag, or playing figure out what neat thing Kira saw two blocks ago.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• And ask your doctor for a referral to a speech therapist for an evaluation. She may very well be fine. But her anger and the screaming may be her reaction to not being able to tell you what she wants when her brain knows what it wants to say. If there is a problem, the best time to catch it is now. Even if there isn't a problem, the speech therapist may have ideas for helping her learn to express herself.
    kaycee14

• Throwing water at your kid? Wow anonymous, you just won the award of "The idiot of the day"!...

Anyway.. back to the question... first off: you need to stay calm. no matter what your child is doing, YOU have to stay calm. Tell her that you wont talk and wont listen to her when she is throwing a fit.

Other than that. did you ever consider getting her checked by a different doctor?! if she doesnt even want cookies or anything, then maybe there is something wrong. maybe her belly hurts (gas?).

Also make sure that she doesnt get boring. That makes kids really mad ;)..

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Try to help her develop her language as much as you can. Part of it may be because she is unable to express herself with the things she wants to say.

Before my daughter was able to communicate well, when she would start screaming I would try to talk for her by saying things "are you angry? are you sad? are you hurt?" because then she only would have to answer yes or no. You can go from there, too, saying things like "you felt angry when you dropped your juice" or "it was scary when you fell off that toy".

Get the idea? This not only helps her feel listened to and understood, but it helps her learn the words to use in the future.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009