Drawing blood

When a nurse was trying to get blood from me at the hospital they couldn't get my right arm to give any,this has happened a couple times. I know my vein use to be excellent in giving oodles and oodles of blood. Is something wrong with the vein in my arm? They now have to use my left arm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Apr. 2, 2012 in Health

• Could be but most likely she/he was having a bad stick day.. It happens.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:45 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I used to have days where I could get blood out of a turnip. I was the go to person for difficult sticks...and then I had days where the vein was blue, bulging, thick, and I missed. It could have been their technique, phlebotomist, etc. I don't think anything is wrong with your veins.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I have a vein on my right arm that is WONDERFUL for blood draws and donations.....the nurse a little while back told me it's a little tough to get into now because of the scar tissue from previous pokes. Not sure if she's full of it or what, but that's what I was told....in broken English no less.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:39 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• If that is your "go to" arm then it is possible that it does have scar tissue and it does make it more difficult to get from that particular area. If I was having a hard time, I would go above or below the normal stick zone to find an area that has less scar tissue.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:46 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• okay good to know my arm didn't mutate something weird!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Apr. 2, 2012