Would you let your 3 1/2 year old jump off a diving board? How about a high dive?

My friend's child (3 1/2) is an okay swimmer without formal lessons. My child won't even get his head under water. Her older children jump off the high dive and she said by the end of the summer she would have the little one jumping off also. I said life is too fragile and she is too young. She said you just think that because yours won't swim.
So would/did you let yours jump off a diving board? How about a high dive at that age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope i wouldnt!
    Anonymous

• Probably the low dive if they had floaties or could swim really well and one of us was there by the diving board when they jumped off. The high dive at 3.5, probably not. We let our 4 yr old go down the big slide at the pool. He doesn't know how to swim but has on his floaties and hubby stands at the bottom and catches him.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 11:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• If they are comfortable with it, let them, with supervision. I would be in the pool waiting. My kids excellent swimmers without formal training. The ocean will always scare me, but to jump into a pool? They should learn to swim somewhere!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Off of a diving board? Absolutely, that only requires rudimentary swimming skills & a parent paying attention. It is great that her kids are comfortable in the water. I wouldn't push a 3 yr old to feel they "should" be ready for the high dive. I might let him/her depending on how high.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• nope. nope.
    mrs_hartline

Answer by mrs_hartline at 11:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I sure wouldn't! It's just not worth it. I've seen so many children hit there heads when jumping off of diving boards, either by slipping or not jumping far enough. As far as the high dive that's too much pressure when they go under the water and cause water to get trapped in there ears. And one more note, if the pool has a high dive I'm sure it's very deep, I would worry how long it would take me to get to my child if something went wrong in water that deep. I do remember when we were younger we could only go to the deep end of the pool if we could swim across 10 feet with out taking a breath if the deep end was 10 feet, seems like a pretty good guide!
    mommawhite08

Answer by mommawhite08 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• There is no way I would allow any of my children or grandchildren to jump off of anything, spechaly a diving board! They could hit wrong and be killed instantly!
    Hadassah_Kay

Answer by Hadassah_Kay at 12:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Ive been a lifeguard for over half my life and infact my earlies pool memory is about going off a diving board at 3 but it was a low dive. I am also aware that most pools are taking out their high boards because of injuries. Know you kids and their abilities and decide accordingly, I dont know that I would encourage it, not so much because of the jump from the board to the water, but the ability and increased likelihood of a fall from the board to the concrete.
    my2sonshines

Answer by my2sonshines at 1:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Low dive, yes, as long as I am supervising. High dive, no way.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 2:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Not the high-dive, I was scared of that at 10. The low dive seems more my kids' speed. If she is okay with her kids doing that, and she is supervising, then I would accept the fact that she is CRAZY! If it bothers you that much, dont go with her to the pool anymore. Maybe just to the park instead.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 3:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2008