If your child gets in trouble at school, do you punish them at home as well?

SaraD1989

Asked by SaraD1989 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 2, 2012 in Just for Fun

• I did the first couple of times, but I don't do it anymore. We talk about what he did wrong and what would have been better choices. At this point nothing he's done has been so outrageous that it wasn't "normal childhood behavior".
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:24 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• It would depend on what it was for
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 6:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• Depends on the offense. When my middle son was younger & he does have ADHD, the teacher & I came up w/ a daily behavior chart which gave me feedback on the areas he needed to work on & what he was improving upon. He was able to earn a prize when he achieved his behavioral goals. If it was back talking a teacher or showing some other type of disrespect, then absolutely, they would be punished in some way at home. I think that's part of the problem w/ schools today, is the lack of parental support at home. We have to remember the common goal here- producing responsible, productive members of society. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• The one time she got in trouble at school, yes, because it was a pretty significant infraction.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• The 7 year old fell out of his chair last week and got a "bad" mark for the day. Really....some of the rules are ridiculous. They aren't robots they are children who get about 20 minutes a day to move around and get rid of all that normal childhood energy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:26 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• My kids have never been in trouble in school - my daughter was in 2nd grade before her behavior crayon got moved from blue down to green (she still had yellow and red to go) and she was devastated.
    But it would depend on why they got in trouble.

Answer by missanc at 6:36 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• Well, that hasn't happened yet, thankfully. But, depending on the offense, I would.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:50 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• It depends on what it was. About a month ago the school called to tell me that my son, an 8 year old 2nd grader, got an in-house suspension for swearing multiple times, even though he'd been told not to. They also let me know that it was not necessary for me to punish him at home. I DID talk to him about behaviors and all that.

If I have to come to school (and I have) to pick a child up, they're gonna get an earful, at the very least.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:20 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• Like a lot of the others it would depend on what he got in trouble for.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:29 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• I hate to repeat, but it would depend on what they did.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 2, 2012