What are the first symptoms of lung cancer or emphesyma?

My husband has been smoking for a really long time and is starting to have some problems but always chalks them up to something else like he just has a cold, etc.
Anyone have real experience with the first symptoms ? What should I be looking for?

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Health

• im not 100% have you tried going to webmd.com to see if you can get any answers there?
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Nothing first-hand --- but I've known many people to have lung cancer. With all of them, it's always a "chest cold" they can't get rid of... persistant bronchitis or pneumonia & things like that.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• A friend of mine just died from lung cancer a month ago. he always had a cold he couldn't shake, and would cough up brown mucous. He only found he had cancer 2 months before he died. No medical insurance is hell.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• chest cold, hacking cough etc. I rec that you get him to stop smoking asap. Can't blame it on medical insurance if you are slowly killing yourself to start with
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 11:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Cough that won't quit, spitting up blood and a pain in the chest and also being tired all the time!
    Get your hubby to his doctor ASAP! My dad died from this in 05 got DX in Feb and was gone in june.
    Homeschoolmom99

Answer by Homeschoolmom99 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2009