• In the Spotlight:

How did you get to where you are?

I'm cheating, this is more than one question:
Do you practice the same faith you were born into?
If yes, have you ever explored anything else?
If no, what brought you from where you were then to where you are now?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I am no longer a part of the church of my birth.

I woke up one day and realized I didnt believe it like I had before and decided not to try and fool myself into believing it still or anything along those lines.

I decided what I did believe and went from there in study and thought,etc. I feel wonderful now even though Im still figuring things out. I feel like I stepped out of a box and see so much more than I ever would have had I not had that revelation.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes I practice the same faith I was born into. Yes I explored paganism and other faiths before coming back to my own. What brought me full circle was alot of problems in my life that seemed centered on my playing around with other religions, life lessons, experiences, and realizing what I believed in the first place was always right for me.

Answer by gemgem at 5:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No I was brought up Luthern and then became Agnostic and now if I had to label myself I would be a Buddhist:)
    I guess I came to Buddhism because its what makes the most sense to me and it also is what comforts me the most:)
    Anonymous

• I was raised in a VERY Christian town. There are 2000 people and 41 churches... That's ALOT! I was raised by a very strict Jehovah's Witness. I am NOT a JW today. As a small child, 7 or 8, I found a book in my school library that was about witchcraft and paganism. I read it during my recess and then found another when I took that one back... My mother found out and took the book off me... From then on I knew I just couldn't find any truth in her religion. I finally had a name for my beliefs. I realize I was a small child but I knew Christianity never answered my questions nor did it explain my visions or other things I had experienced... As a teen and an adult I continued my exploration of Paganism and even Christianity. I love the study of religion and am fascinated by it. I study modern and ancient. However my beliefs are pure Pagan!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My parents are non-practicing "believers in God" . All my family is Christian as is everyone in my area. Christianity never made sense to me... I didn't feel a connection with it, always questioned it, there were things within it I never agreed with, etc. Yet, I always labeled myself as "Christian" because that's all I knew.

Ironically, it was a Christian that pushed me (for lack of a better term) into discovering my Buddhism. We had our children enrolled in a homeschool PE class together. She always stirred the conversation to religion and asked TONS of questions - I apprently never had satisfying answer for her, because she always pushed more. I finally got tired of playing 20 questions with her & went in search of "what" I was - whole-heartedly expecting to come back with one denomination or another of Christianity.

Surprise! I am Buddhist. Always have been... I just didn't know it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was raised Christian. I left when I was about 16 and started to believe in evolution and the idea that you can go to heaven if you're good, that all religions are about the same...ect.
    Then at 19 I lost my fiance to suicide. It was tramatic because I lived with him at the time, heard the gunshot and discovered him. That should have put me into a spiral of depression and maybe even a little insanity but I had so many Christians praying for me. Before the funeral I had such a sense of comfort and covering over me it couldn't be explained by anything but God. For me that God was Jesus. I began to come back to Christ..praying and being around other REAL Christians and He just continues to show himself in my life.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was born to Atheists.....Christian hating Atheists. I went to church as a child and everything was taught to me as a fairy tale. I entered the occult at about age 13, and did many things I cannot speak of. Things I am in no way proud of. At the age of 17 I had an experience with God, and wrote it off. At 18 I was hopelessly suicidal, and finally surrendered. It didn't last. In fact until about 4 months ago I really didn't know what Christianity was all about. As I have allowed God to teach me I have such a new understanding, and relationship. So I am nowhere close to where I began. My parents assumed church was a phase. It was with my brother....not with me. My dad hated Christians till the day he died.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Also, I have NEVER prayed a prayer that God didn't answer and that just facinates me! I mean not 1!! That in itself is all the "proof" I need.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No.
    22 years of "dealing with" the Catholic church and dogma I couldn't handle the nonsense anymore. So I asked God to help me find the truth and here I am. For the past 13 years I've been a happy Spiritual Christian Gnostic and I LOVE IT!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was raised Catholic but stopped believing in organized religion when I was 16. I don't get anything out of it and I don't agree with a lot of it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009