Does anyone have the problem where their child takes off their diaper and plays with their poo or urine? my 18 month old does this all the time and i dont know what to do?! i put him in pjs he takes em off...idk what to do to stop it. it drives me nuts! any suggestions?

AidensMommy7607

Asked by AidensMommy7607 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• time to potty train
    Anonymous

• i was told be someone to wrap duct tape on the outside of the diaper
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i havent reached that stage, yet, but if i was faced with your predicament, i would duct tape the diaper closed. if that does not try taping all of the way around the waist band. it may be harder to change the diaper, but if it works you will save in poopy messes!
    teenagemama19

Answer by teenagemama19 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was getting ready to ask this same question, my DD is 14 months old and i cannot keep a diaper on her, she is constantly taking it off as soon as she goes to the bathroom in her diaper she will take off her pants and her diaper , I have tried everything, i dont know what else to do.
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 5:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• LOL! My son was SO into this. He mainly wanted to play with his poop. Especially when he was supposed to be sleeping! It was soooooooooo gross. As a matter of fact, I went into his room one morning and found his entire WHITE crib covered in the stuff. It was repulsive. I'm not real sure how to get them to stop. I moved him to a toddler bed after that incident and he hasn't done it since. My guess, he just out grew it. I feel for you!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It may sound crazy but it's true... it's time to start potty training. He is aware that he has gone potty and doesn't want to sit in it. That is a major sign of potty training readiness. Get a potty seat for the toilet or a training potty and put him on it every so often telling him that that is where he goes potty. Put a diaper on him in between if you like. Just start the idea of going potty in the toilet or training potty. My son is almost potty trained at 2 years and 3 months old because I kinda started doing this. He would be potty trained already but I backed off because people thought I was pushing it too early and foolishly I listened. Now he is fully trained as long he is allowed to run around naked so we are working on training him to underwear. He did the pulling his diaper off inside his sleeper even so I knew it was time to train and I should have continued with it.
    desireemiote

Answer by desireemiote at 5:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Put his onesie on him backwards.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• by the way my sons name is aiden too!! lol
    desireemiote

Answer by desireemiote at 5:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Keeping your child frequently changed will help some. I keep my son in pajama's that he cannot remove on his own. 2 pieces that snap together, or a one piece zippered outfit (he hasn't figured out how to unzip it yet).

If your child has figured out the snaps and zippers you will have more trouble.
    Anonymous

• This is very common. Duct tape over the dipaer tabs and one piece outfits like onsies help.

You can start to potty train if you want to but this is not a sign of readiness. This is a sign of curiosity.
    If you start now and your child is not ready, plan on doing all of the work - hauling your child to the potty on a strict schedule, holding him on the potty, etc. Many parents make the mistake of wondering why their "potty trained" child who goes when they take them to the potty won't ask to use the potty. Asking to use the potty takes maturity and a willingness to stop playing - which usually don't appear until after 2.5 years. So, start now if you want to and have the time and energy to put into it. But he will be fully potty trained and in charge of his own potty use when he is ready to do so - no matter how many months you've been hauling him to the potty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2009