Does anyone else think that "co-owners" are stupid and childish?

okay, IMO it is, they are made-up positions... there is nothing that separates them from any other Admin... so, why make up the title, just to make someone feel more important? i've also seen these titles end up in fights between admins, because of "power struggles"... what's your opinion?

AudlyLuvly

Asked by AudlyLuvly at 5:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in About CafeMom

• huh?
    Anonymous

• I thought the "co-owners" could access the same functions as the owner? I know that on most sites Admins only have so much access to stuff. It's a necessary thing on groups that are really popular because the owner can't be there constantly but the Admins can only do so much in the group.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 5:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i am referring to the cafemom groups tell certain Admins that they are the groups "co-owner" or "head admin" when there is no such thing, and really they don't have any extra powers. in fact, the owner only has a couple extra things that only can she do..

AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 6:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• on cafemom, admins can do almost all functions that an owner can do. and there is actually no such position as a co-owner. owners of the groups make the position up.
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 6:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm with the first answer. Huh? Administrators can accces the same as owners. I own a site and if I made up a co-owner it would be someone I knew that agreed with me on most issues. I think if someone did this they were probably good freinds. there is only one owner and the rest are administrators. You can reverse the roles also if you want. My DIL and my experience on one site was when the owner left it made DIL owner and made everyone else on the site administrators! We were not even aware this had happened!
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• uhmm okay, this question is about CAFEMOM GROUPS... thus this is posted under the CAFEMOM section.... so please don't come with answers about other sites... i've already tried to clarify this... but obviously you all are too dense to understand
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if both people came up with the idea together then co-owner is appropriate. They are equals with the same administrative powers. If there's a power struggle and someone gets 'promoted' to co-owner.. I didn't know that could be done but that would be pointless.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• okay, i guess what i'm trying to say, is THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A CO-OWNER... SO WHY MAKE ONE UP?? i don't understand it
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 3:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If two moms get together to decide what is done in and with a group, even if only one has the capability to execute it, then they are co owners. The problem is with the way the groups are set by CM not with the owners. Also if a group has a profile it could be made the owner even though it isn't actually a person and either co owner can use it to access the GO controls. Which BTW are only the ability to promote admins, ask to have a group deleted and send a bulletin. Admins can do everything else a GO can do. So it does make sense from the standpoint of running a group.

What is your real issue?

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my real issue is i think it's stupid to MAKE UP A POSITION.. i understand the dynamics of a group, i understand that the GO may consult with a certain person with decisions, but in the end, the GO is the one that makes the final decision, so why even add the co-owner position?? i personally have been in a group in which it caused a problem.. there aren't any problems now... but i just think it's a bit stupid to be making up non-existent positions.
    AudlyLuvly

Answer by AudlyLuvly at 10:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2009