Do we need Public Libraries?

The budget of our local Library for new books and new materials has been cut by 60%. :(

Cafemomoftwo217

Asked by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 3, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I don't understand why they would cut Saturday hours. Ours is closed on Mondays to help with cutbacks, but the weekends are really busy. That just seems silly. Cut a weekday instead of a weekend day.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• I would much rather see the money spent on plants, lawn care, etc. for public spaces (parks, sidewalks, etc.) cut. Libraries are necessary ~ cutting the grass and planting flowers is not.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2012

• I say we do need them. When I was in high school, which wasn't that long ago I'm 23, I used one all the time. My parents could not afford a computer or internet at the time. I borrowed books, movies, CDs, used the internet, used the reference section all the time. I wrote all my high school papers and essays at the library. Now, I take my 3 year old DD to story time, once a week. I check books out for her, me and my DH all the time. Our library is within walking distance. It's a shame, since I was in high school, the library cut their hours, it makes me sad.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• If libraries are properly funded and taken care of, they are an asset to the community. But, if you live in an area like mine, where the library is little more than a room full of empty spaces where stolen books used to be and stupid fiction that no one reads... No, it's a waste of tax payer money!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:01 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• YES! I love Libraries.

Arnlnsmommy

Answer by Arnlnsmommy at 10:20 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• I definitely think so!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2012

• yes. if not me and my boys wouldtn have much to read!!! books are very expensive!!!
    mommaFruFru

Answer by mommaFruFru at 1:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2012