Stretch marks...how can they be based on genetics when 20 years ago moms didn't try to prevent them.

I work out daily, use revitol and vitamin e oil non stop, drink tons of water, and take vitamins. (My mom didn't) Has anyone else had any luck preventing stretch marks even if your mom had them. Please don't answer and say it's only genetic. I am looking to see if anyone has any experience actually beating the genetic odds.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My mom has stretch marks and I never got them. I used creams
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 6:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• They are genetic. It doesnt have anything to do with working out or vitamins or anything like that so even if our moms didnt try and prevent them it wouldnt have mattered. It has to do with the elasticity of the skin and whatever the genetics in your family is. So look at your mom, aunts, etc and if any of them have lost or gained weight even and have stretchmarks then youre still more apt to get them. If they dont really have them then you wont get as many. And if youre totally lucky and they dont have any at all you might not get any either.

Answer by gemgem at 6:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• never heard of anybody being able to "beat the genetic odds"..

and im sorry to tell you, but your skin does what it wants. u can eat tons of vitamin pills and use gallons of oil.. if your skin says "alright, ima give that woman a stretchmark", then you will get it... and then you just have to deal with it.

i call my stretchmarks "mommyscars" ;))
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• sorry they are right its all genetic even if they didnt try to prevent them back then it wouldnt have mattered. Its all in the elasticity of your skin. If your ment to have stretch marks your going to have stretch marks. None of the women on my mothers side has them and so far iv been lucky enough not to have any.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I know you're looking for hope, but I was religious about using expensive creams and everything on my belly constantly during pregnancy and, just like my mom, my stomach looks terrible. It seriously looks like someone took a rake to it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• so no answers. my mom had them and so do i. it sux but its life. look at it this way you are trading your looks for a beautiful life :)
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sorry! It's genetic! You said your mom got them, but that's only half of your genes!! You may not be totally "doomed." Anyway, the only way you can prevent stretch marks is not getting prego and not gaining lots of weight very rapidly.
    Oh and make sure whatever you're taking to prevent stretch marks(which are all a waste of money) don't have vitamin A in them....if it does you should check with your doc about using it. Vitamin A can cause birth defects and I think even using a lot of topical Vit. A may do it too....I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't take any chances.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i think it really depends on the person and the skin type. i believe its a good bit genetics and a little may be prevention. but again it goes back to the specific person, my mom had LOTS of stretch marks and i got NONE. i didnt use anything to try and prevent it either, it just turned out that way. honestly its kind of a crap shoot, anything can happen. i guess keep your fingers crossed
    oh and i agree with an above poster, please do not waste your money on fancy creams and lotions that promise to work. definitely a scam
    learae

Answer by learae at 6:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009