How do I get my 2 year old to stop hitting me???

This is so frustrating. My 2 year old hits me anytime he doesn't get his way. I don't understand where he gets this from because I have never hit him. (nor does he watch violent shows, ect). I have tried doing what the books say, calmly holding his hand, looking him in the eye and tell him we do not hit. This isn't working. The hitting just keeps escalating.

If you have ANY advice, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE share with me!!

mmech1033

Asked by mmech1033 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you get any good advice could you pass it on to me. LOL I have a2 year old girl and same thing. We don't hit either and she hits and throws herself around if I tell her no. I talk to her and she stops....untill the next time. So I will probably read what others write on this subject :)
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 11:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I am 54, I'd turn him over my knee and show him why we don't hit.  Mine only hit me once, I turned her over my knee and showed her what would happen if she did it again.  She never has...   She is all grown up now with 3 children of her own.  And not a problem with any of them...
    Hadassah_Kay

Answer by Hadassah_Kay at 12:21 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i agree with the above. you gotta take control of the situation. DO they even understand what YES and NO means. IF not you can't hold them accountable and they will only be confused. You may not hit them, but you need to show them who is the PARENT and not the friend
    misskinjia

Answer by misskinjia at 12:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• make him sit in a time out chair and tell him when hes ready to talk, he may get up, but make him tell you why he sat in time out and tell him if he keeps it up, he'll go right back!!! and tell him that mommy doesnt hit him so he shouldnt hit u!!! good luck!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I would agree you have to take control. When my middle child was biting at that age, I told him this. "If you bite some again, I am going to bite you back. See my teeth they are bigger then yours and will hurt you more." The next time he bit his brother I bit him back. I did not break the skin, I did leave a mark. He never bit anyone again.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2008