Stem cell research to begin in US...thoughts?

Just read this article on Fox News. I for one see nothing wrong with being able to cure disease or disabilities if we have the means.

Here is the link to the article
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,481825,00.html

ashandamymom

Asked by ashandamymom at 7:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ugh...this is so difficult. I see both sides. Some days I am against it, but others I am for it....but I do know that if it were my child's life, and my child suffering deep down I think that I wouldn't care where the cure/treatment came from...if it could make my baby better. Does that make sense?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am glad they are finally doing it. I think it will help people.

Answer by louise2 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I haven't decieded yet how I feel. I have never really thought about the technicalities of when a baby actualy has a soul and is a 'baby'. So I've got some thinking to do! : )
    2kidsonly2arms

Answer by 2kidsonly2arms at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I donate eggs, and I will not allow my CHILDREN to be mutilated and tested, that's what it is! I won't donate to someone if they want to do this, as I've turned down couples before, regardless of the $10,000 they want to pay me. Says so in the bible, it's a child at the moment of conception, no matter what anyone "feels". One day we'll all see and so many people will be disgusted with themselves for allowing the most innocent of people, who don't have a voice, to be a "cure" for someone else.
    Anonymous

• As an aunt of a child that has CP, a cure they come up with by whatever means, would be be fine with me. We are talking about aborted fetal tissue they are using and until they completely ban abortions in this country, then I think it's more ethical to use them for a good cause than just chunk them in the trash. If that makes me evil or condemns me to hell, then so be it.
    ashandamymom

Answer by ashandamymom at 8:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I won't go so far as to say it should never be done, but I will say that I wouldn't take a treatment that I knew came from an aborted baby. I would refuse treatment for my kids in the situation too. Just my beliefs, I don't think you should take a life, even if it will save many. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I an very pleased that we are moving forward with this.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 8:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it's awesome. I doubt there will be results in time to help me but hope my kids or grandkids will see the breakthroughs this research can bring.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I too have mixed feelings on this. I believe that if it can help save someone, or allow someone to live a better quality of life, then it is good, but I do not like the idea of using aborted fetal tissue. I think that they need to come up with a better way to get the tissue. Wasn't there research that this tissue could be found in cord blood? I would be willing to donate whatever I could after birth to support this cause, but I can not see ending one life to save another. I think that it is a slippery slope to be climbing.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can preserve or donate stem cells when you give birth. The cord blood has has stem cells. We donated so science can move forward with research. You don't know what you will decide in the time of need, but self preservation is human nature. Hopefully this is a successful process and can save many lives from many ailments.
    dragonmommyj

Answer by dragonmommyj at 3:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2009