Slow rising HCG levels

LMP 2/1/12 - 2/6/12 would make me at around 9 weeks pregnant. Took HPT on 3/9/12 4 days late on period and was BFN. Made DR appt for 3/23/12 for missed period being 18 days late, possible cyst? Went to DR that day and found out I was pregnant! Went into ER next day 3/24/12 for cramping and stated my hcg level was 261.8 and that was way too low for how far along I am and that it is not a viable pregnancy and I would miscarry (Also an ultrasound that didnt show anything). Made appt 3/27/12 to get hcg level checked again it went up to 461 or so....we were puzzled, thought it would be going down. 3/29/12 hcg 881 or so...not doubling but going up again. 3/31/12 up to 1099 and yesterday it is up to 1999 and they seen a gestational sac in ultrasound in my uterus measuring just under 5 weeks pregnant. No yolk sac visible yet. Is it possible I ovulated reallllllly late? My periods are like clock work pretty much every 28-30 days. Or an impending miscarriage? If miscarriage, why is there a gestational sac now..doesn't that mean its growing? I have two sons aged almost 3 and almost 2 already and had no problems with their pregnancies, no history of miscarriage either. Any help is greatly appreciated :):)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Apr. 3, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I went through this twice. Has the dr. checked your progesterone levels? If you have very low progesterone then you will typically miscarry between 9-11 weeks. Progesterone supplements will help you make it through the danger period, but you typically have to start them before you are 8 weeks. The second time this happened to me I had an ultrasound at 8 weeks and the baby was there and the right size, but at 12 weeks there was no heart beat any more and the fetus had shrunk to the size of 5 weeks (because I hadn't expelled it yet).

The other possiblity is that you are actually earlier than you think you are, which I hope is the case for you. Keep going to the dr and getting all your levels checked.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• Thanks for your answer and input slw123 I am hoping I ovulated late but Im not sure how good its looking if my hcg levels are not doubling :/ They did take progesterone but never called me back to let me know what the result was for that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• My hcg levels went up to 25,000 before they started to drop then I miscarried and thats with nothing showing on the u/s except for an empty egg sac and all 3 ultra sounds said I was 4-5 weeks. I had an u/s then a week later had another u/s then 2 weeks later had another u/s. I really hope that your case is different.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2012