Are there any Methodists here?

I am thinking of leaving the catholic church to a Methodist. I have been very unhappy with the catholic church and I have been attending several different churches and have really enjoyed a methodist one. Very welcoming and friendly, the message of the service and the music is exactly what I think I have been looking for.

I called the church to talk to the pastor to get some other information. But I just wanted some input from someone that is methodist. I only have the catholic church to compare to, so just wondering about the faith in general.

Do you take communion? are you baptised? any other input would be appreciated.

choco_mom

Asked by choco_mom at 2:43 PM on Apr. 3, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not a member, but I went to my grandparent's UMC church many times all through childhood and was baptized there. They do infant and and adult baptisms. Communion was done, but not every week. Their church was against alcohol consumption, so we always had unsweetened grape juice. It was somewhat fundamentalist in beliefs, but not quite as much as the Baptists. Like a lot of other Protestant branches, you won't see emphasis put on saints or the Virgin Mary.

If you want something a little closer to the Catholic service, you should check out the Lutheran and Episcopalian denoms.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:54 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• My dad was Methodist before he married my mom and my dh was before he met me. I am Southern Baptist but have visited many Methodist churches. Yes, they do celebrate communion, how often depends on the church. They sprinkle at birth and again later by your choosing to join the church. The kids go through confirmation in middle school.
    The thing I don't like about it is that you as a member have little choice in your pastor. The head of the Methodist church sends someone for the church. But I think that's common in a lot of denominations other than Baptist.

Answer by missanc at 4:10 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• I am a member at a Methodist church. They do baptize, usually infants, younger children (and then there is Confirmation later), but we have baptized adults at our church as well - one member wanted to go out to a river even, which was accommodated for her. We usually take Communion once a month, though I think until our last pastor retired there was an earlier service each week with Communion and a quick sermon - not sure if the new pastor continued that or not... From what I understand Catholics have 7 sacraments, and our Methodist church, at least, recognizes 5. But my family was Catholic until my mother remarried, and he was Pentecostal, so they agreed that Methodism was a happy medium between the two. Our church has always been upbeat and positive, like a big family, even. The messages have always been encouraging, no preaching to the choir, so to speak, or constant alter calls or anything, or scare tactics, lol. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:27 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• "Their church was against alcohol consumption, so we always had unsweetened grape juice. "

lol, at my church they sit together and talk about which drinks they prefer, though Communion is done with juice, especially since it is open to even the younger children. That was my mom's favorite thing about the church, that Communion there is an "open table," meaning anyone can partake, not just members or baptized, etc.That and the slogan is "Open hearts, open minds, open doors" or something like that.

I think there are two kinds of Methodist, the more fundamentalist and the more open kind, because fundamentalism was never my experience at my church, and I have seen Methodist churches online and so forth accepting homosexuals and all.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• It is also common for ministers to change churches every year or two. Some stay for years, but there can be a lot of turnover.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:38 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• oh thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them. I wil say the alcohol comment concerned me, not that I am a big drinker by any means but socially I will have a few occassionally.

It helps me stay committed to my decision, I will make an official one once I meet with the pastor and get some detailed info about this church.
    choco_mom

Comment by choco_mom (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2012