Is this a good idea???

My Dad, Sister, Brother-in-law, 2 nieces, and 1 nephew all live together in one house. I have had the offer to come live with them. We all get along real well, parenting styles are typically the same. We are talking about building a house big enough for all of us to live in. Does this sound like a good situation? I am a single mom of 4 kids. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• If you all get along good fine. One question. Who would own the house you all would build together.

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We would all own it equally. Split the house payment 3 ways. And inheritance-wise we would have to pay our brother for my dad's share.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I think you need to keep in mind that people change when you live with them, assuming that you have already lived with your dad, and sister before I would go off how things were then, and make a decision based on that

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would never ever live with my relatives, and I love them all I tried for awhile with my Mom and it was aflaming disaster. Too much judging going on.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sometimes if you have been living on ur own with your kids its hard to live with other ppl.........it cant hurt to ttry but you may want to have a secure back up plan
    MarcRyan

Answer by MarcRyan at 7:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• wow single mom and 4 kids? i couldnt do it. if you all get along and they are crazy about your kids then why not. even if you need some alone time or you have a date you always know it wont be that hard to find a sitter
    learae

Answer by learae at 7:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• A HOUSE ISN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR TWO FAMILIES
    FTBALLMOF2BOYS

Answer by FTBALLMOF2BOYS at 7:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well I say there is nothing wrong with trying it. Like the post above said I am sure you know how it is living with your dad and sister already, and if you know their parenting styles are similar to yours and you won't mind them disciplining your children too, then I don't see a problem. As far as the size of the home, if you each contribute 1/3 of the monthly payment, then you should be able to afford to build a large enough home to suit all of you. Yes, some of the kids may have to share rooms. But you are talking 6-7 bedrooms and at least 3 bathrooms for that many people, and that's with the kids going 2 to a room. My boys are 10 and 11 and share a room with no problem so I don't see an issue in that if they are the same sex and close in age. You would know you would always have someone there to help if needed too which would be nice.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i think you would have to be crazy. what about your future? will you have the chance to back out in 5 or so years, when you meet the man of your dreams? i doubt he will want to shack up with the fam.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 9:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If everyone had their own space, say a suite with bedroom and sitting room or area plus bathroom, then I think it could work. Share a kitchen and living room and either a dining room or really big kitchen. Decide on cleaning - would each person clean their own space and who would clean the common areas. Who would cook, shop for groceries, clean up the dishes, who would pay which bills, who would handle outside work. House maintenance? When the place needs a new hot water tank, or a new roof, how is that financed? Perhaps it would be a good idea to have fund for repairs and everyone puts in a share. How about furnishings, are everyone's tastes compatible? How about pets. What if someone decides to move out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009