Aren't Fico scores free?

I went to myfico and they want 19.95. I thought you could get it for free.

Asked by momofne at 5:35 PM on Apr. 3, 2012 in Money & Work

• Nice little scam they've got going on there, right?

You can get your report for free but if you want your scores you have to pay. (I should say this was my experience; others may know a way around it)

Answer by BrawnwynII at 5:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• Yup, free report, have to pay for the scores. I don't know any other way to get them for free.

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 5:42 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• It's always been my understanding that you can contact the big 3 companies (Experian, Equifax, TransUnion) directly and request your report/score once a year for free. I personally haven't done it yearly, but I have in the pass have contacted Equifax directly and have gotten my score from them with no cost. I really should do it yearly, but I was told yearly on to just contact the company directly and never deal with 3rd party sites/companies like "my free credit score".

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• Even at one of the big three mentioned above I had to pay somethinglike $8.00 Go to each one's website and see what they charge.

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:37 PM on Apr. 3, 2012

• For the free annual credit report, I paid $7.95 to get my scores.

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:40 PM on Apr. 3, 2012