Breastmilk for an older child?

I did not breastfeed my daughter when she was born. However I just had another child and am breastfeeding. I know that breastfeeding helps a child out so much and so I am wondering if it would be beneficial to give my daughter, she is three, some of the milk that I express? No bashing please, I want to do what is best for my children. However,I didn't know that much about breastfeeding when I first had her. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• it wouldnt be bad for her but chances are she wouldnt drink it but you never know. If your body is makng enough i guess you could try pumping and giving it to her. Im sure your DD is healthy even though you didnt breastfeed her so i would stress about it if she doesnt want it. After all she is 3 and has been on regular milk now for a while.
    Anonymous

• I don't see what it would hurt. Of course give her normal food as well. every little bit could help.
    Anonymous

• It won't hurt your 3 yo, I know that. I will say, go ahead and give her some if she will drink it.

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt. Just pump it and let her drink it. She may not even like it. You could mix it in with mashed potatoes too. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There are a lot of children who are still nursing at that age, so it certainly wouldn't harm her. Sometimes hospitals will even use donated breast milk to help critically ill children and adults because it is so easily digested and healing. Go ahead and try. The worst that can happen is that she doesn't like it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It wouldn't hurt her. I don't think it would help her much. She's older now and her immune system is much more developed than when she was a baby. I guess you can if you want to. My older kids always wanted to taste it to see what it was like. I allowed them to taste a small amount on a spoon. They tasted, "oh that's what it tastes like". End of discussion. Good luck!!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• When my 4 year old is sick, I will express a little bit of breast milk into some health juice for her. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Try it! My daughters like breastmilk and would drink it if I expressed some for them. They are 7 and 8. My sons not so much, lol. My younger boy(aside from my todder) is 5 and refuses, it just depends on the kid. Also, at 3 some kids are still nursing so it won't hurt one bit. Any breastmilk is helpful, no matter what the age.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Many 3 year olds still nurse so in no way will it hurt. I still give pumped milk to my 3.5 year old when he is acting sick, but I have to water it down a bit for him to drink it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2009