At what age can a typical child swallow medicine in pill form?

My 7 yr. old son and I both have strong gag reflexes. Sometimes I take his liquid cold medicine or Tylenol.

tiggermom803

Asked by tiggermom803 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 6 year old can swallow a pill, but not my 8 year old. My mom and sis have a horrible gag reflex but not me. I guess it just depends on the child.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 7:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my 6 year old has to take meds and he's supposed to swallow it but he has a really hard time. I'd love to know how to get him to do it, but I think it just eventually comes to them. He kinda has to chew it, even though it tastes nasty.
    jillian6702

Answer by jillian6702 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think in general it's 6 to 8, but I was still having pills crushed for me at something like 9 or 10. It will depend on the sensitivity of the child's throat, the size of the esophogeal opening and the ability to move the pill to the back of the mouth.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i remember when i was 5 i had to take medication... it sucked, but it was no big deal...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Depends on the child. Usually if they take meds on a daily basis they learn earlier than children that don't.
    Ways to learn to take meds that we use at the hospital- start with nerds candy and work on swallowing those with something to drink. After that move up to mini M&M's and then on to regular M&M's or skittles that are about the same size of the average pill.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I taught my daughter at 4 and my son at 2 1/2. They are both of the autism spectrum and my oldest had oral aversion. They both needed to take supplements I was mixing in juice. They both chose to take pills instead.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 2:49 PM on Jan. 25, 2009