Why does my 15 month old occassionaly spit up?

My son spits up small amounts of the liquid that he just consumed on different occassions. It's usually no more than twice a day. Does anyone know why he may be doing this? He doesn't seem sick at all and when he spits up it doesn't phase him in the least...he actually tries to play in it(yuck). Any ideas?

bxbsmommy

Asked by bxbsmommy at 7:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is it after he eats or drinks something in particular? My daughter is 15 months as well. She spits up if I dont dilute her apple juice enough.
    GmansMomy

Answer by GmansMomy at 8:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes, it's usually after he eats or drinks...I never diluted his apple juice because I was told I didn't have to...but they may be what it is. I'll try that. Thanks!!
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 8:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My youngest did this for a while. The pediatrician said it was probably because I was giving him too much liquid during the day. And I do know he would spit up if I didn't have his juice diluted enough...but we always diluted all of his juices.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Also- try giving smaller amounts. It is possible that he's taking in too much for his little tummy to handle and it gets rid of it!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• thanks ladies for your advice. He goes to the doctor next week and it's a new doctor so I'll be sure to bring it up to him to see if he has the same suggestions. However, I don't know why I didn't mention this before but he's been drinking juice since he was about 12 months and he never spit up. My son won't drink milk during the day at all which may be a part of the problem.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 10:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yeah I would just talk to the dr. It could be something that just hit him and now he has to grow out of it! I didnt dilute her juice at first either but when she kept spitting up i tried it and it did the trick!
    GmansMomy

Answer by GmansMomy at 10:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• it may be he's drinking it a little too fast, and it's just a wet burp coming up. Is he teething? That could cause a little gas on the tummy from so much stuff draining down. He could have a little acid, but if it's not too much, I sure wouldn't worry just mention it to the doc.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• He is teething which may be another reason why he's spitting up...so many different possibilities!!!
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• WHEN HE FEEDS SOMETIMES A GAS BUBBLE FORMS AND MAKES HIM BURB...AND THE FOOD COMES UP...AS THEY GET OLDER YOU CANT MAKE SURE THEY BURP ALL THE TIME...
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2009