What did you do with your other 1st child when you went in the hospital to deliver your others?

We have a 2yr old, when the baby gets here he will be 2months shy of 3yrs. Well we really only have my in-laws watch our first child, but they have a set work schedule and I know there is no way they could watch him the whole time we were in the hospital. I don't know if they will let you keep your 1st born at the hospital with you or not, do they? Just wondering what everyone else did? Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my second my mom and dad lived far away so I had friends watch my dd until one of the grandmas got here. With the rest my mom or inlaws took time off and came and watched my kids.

Answer by gemgem at 8:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My oldest son was 2 years old when I had my twins and I left him with my mom. I have a lot of family support and I thank God for them everyday.
    Anonymous

• I am having this same problem, my daughter is 19 months and will be about 23 months when the baby is born and she has yet to stay the night away from me. I asked my midwife and she said our hospital will let her stay with us as long as while I am in labor there is another adult there to help so my husband can concentrate on me. I would just ask your OB they should know. Good Luck
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, in the hospital I went to, they have very limited hours for kids, even siblings. My DS was 18mo when I had DD. When I was in labor he stayed with my sister, at night DH would go home and stay with him until DS was allowed to visit. Then, when my mom was able to, she'd take DS.
    If I were you, I'd call the hospital you're planning on going to and check what their rules are. Then you should have a babysitter's number ready....you never know when it'll happen and you need to have a plan.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Our daughters godparents live across the street. When I went into labor, we just walked our daughter across the street and off we went to the hospital.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 8:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Newmommy61207- That is my thing too he has never spent a night away from me and it just really worries me. B/c if they watched him I know they have to get up to work and what if he doesn't go to sleep for them so easily. I will for sure have to ask my OB at my next appointment. Thank you
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies. I will have to call the hospital for sure and see what they say. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• My daughter was there for pretty much the whole labor & delivery. She & my husband got there (I was at work, she was in day care and DH was working too) about an hour before my 2nd was born. She was in the room up until the heavy duty pushing. At that point, she was escorted out with one of the nurses to get a snack and go by the nursery. She was brought back in as soon as her little sister was born. We didn't have any family in the area and all of our friends were working. My 2nd came earlier than we thought, so we had no one lined up. It worked out well and my daughter has memories of being there when her sister was born.
    caitandcarasmom

Answer by caitandcarasmom at 8:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i had the same problem when i went into labor with my 2nd son. i ended up having tp leave my 4 year old with my b/f. i had my youngest by my self it was very depressing.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies. I called and left a message at the hospital that I will be delivering at but I probably won't here anything until Monday since it is the weekend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2009