Any suggestions for introducing solids to 4.5 month old - what to eat, when,..?

I just started my 4.5 month old daughter on rice cereal mixed with water in 7.0 pm. feeding. She did okay. I put her to bed around 8.30 - 9.0 pm. Any suggestions, when to feed her ( is morning better) and when to increase it to twice a day and give her vegetables? My pediatrician told me to start with the cereal and see him at 6 month check up, which seems to me far away. Also, I've been giving her breast milk also, but when should I sbstitude the milk with solid food?

katy1980

Asked by katy1980 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pedia said to give my dd baby food twice a day, 2 jars at each feeding, along with a 6oz bottle.
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Babies at this age don't need food......they soley rely on formula or breastmilk for nutrition. Some pediatricians say to wait until 7-8 months before feeding food. They are finding alot of correlation between feeding babies food too early and allergies. Don't substitute any breastmilk for food....she relies soley on the breastmilk and will for several more months.
    Anonymous

• Seems a bit early to me. But if you really feel that she's ready, follow her cues.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i was told to mix the formula or breast milk with the rice cereal also the rice made my son bind up so be careful . also my son is going on 5 months on feb 5th and already he likes stage one carrots and green breans and he usually gets these at the normal dinner time which is after the bath
    colbysmommie95

Answer by colbysmommie95 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Breastfeed before offering solids until your baby is about 12 months old.
    You may want to wait a bit.
    Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk (or formula) for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Babies ONLY need formula or Breastmilk til 6 months. they NevER need cereal or rice. Its just empty calories. YOu can go from milk to veggies at six months. The only reason they say to use that is to keep them full longer. but rice is binding and will make them constipated and their digestive system is still too young to digest all that crap.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009