How do you feel about the detainees from G.B. being held in the US?

President Obama, who I voted for (not that it matters), has stated that he plans to close Guantanamo Bay by next year. So far, there are several places in the US listed for the detainees to be transferred to. What are your thoughts about having suspected terrorists on US soil?

caitandcarasmom

Asked by caitandcarasmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It doesn't bother me at all that they will be transferred to U.S. soil. In fact I am glad about it. Which now means they are subject to and entitled to all of the laws of the United States government including being issued their civil rights by the government. I would rather they have the right, each individual, to be able to have their day in court and ability to defend what they have been accused of. The fact is that our government has to prove that they are guilty - they do not have to prove their innocence. Although realistically at this point they do. I would not want to be held without due process and do not want to continue this disastrous policy of foreign "suspects" to be held indefinitely. All they are is "suspects" until proven they are indeed terrorists. There is a big difference.  Each person deserves their right to be heard and present their information as they see fit.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We have suspected murderers here in the US that have to be tried so these SUSPECTED terrorists need to be tried as well.
    LKornak

Answer by LKornak at 8:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Dont want them here.Leave them there and give them trail there and quit with the "torture".Dont have to bring them to our already crowded jails to give them trials.IF they are terrorists they dont need to be brought here!
    Anonymous

• As the old saying goes, keep your enemies closer...
    caitandcarasmom

Answer by caitandcarasmom at 8:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• 8:52 sounds just like my husband. He didn't go to Iraq, to then have them in our country. They don't want to live anyway...it's just like the Japanese--it's better to die for your God than be a prisoner. Kill em & save us the money. Ooh Rah!
    Anonymous

• I am torn. Bringing them here would save the country a lot of money in having to keep G.B open but, at the same time, it would cost jobs when it was shut down. I want the torture to end, for sure, but maybe ending the torture and keeping them there is the answer. At the same time, bringing them here would create jobs for those in the corrections field but, my biggest fear, area we really ready to handle them? Yes, the federal supermax has far worse, but still...
    Then, once they are convicted (and do their time) or, heaven forbid, released...are we releasing them into the country that they showed hatred towards?
    Anonymous

• Oh my anon :52. That's some ugly talk.
    That said, I don't want them here. It will likely result in another attack on our soil. Not from the detainees but from their 'technical support'. But by all means, feel free to keep them in your back yard (as long as you don't live anywhere close to me).
    Anonymous

• :56, who do you think works there? It's the military...they won't lose jobs, they'll just be transferred to a new base.probably one they like with commissaries, women, real housing. They would put them in federal prison, probably not build a new one so not too many new jobs created. Jobs are the last thing to worry about. They're terrorists for crying out loud!
    Anonymous

• LKornak and caitandcarasmom: Excellent! My thoughts exactly, on both answers.
    Anonymous

• Don't bring them here. No one wants them, they are terrorists.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009