• In the Spotlight:

How? Is it possible? (IUC/Mirena)

I have the IUC Mirena, and have for 7 months now, with no periods, so usually every couple months I take a pregnancy test just to put my mind at easy, and they are all negative. Well I feel pregnant, my boobs are sore, I have the plumped out, bloated like stomach, and you just know when you have that feeling. All test have came back negative, I go back the first week of Feb. for my yearly. Is this possible? Has anyone else that has has Mirena gotten pregnant? And one of my friends has Mirena as well and she was told if you got pregnant and then had it removed that you would have a miscarriage? Any truth to that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well I had a mirena for 4 yrs and I don't think it's possible ...but nothing is 100% safe but if you are pregnant just get it removed and the baby will be fine but just make sure you keep your app. but don't worry I never had a problem wit mine..good luck to you
    rissa1789

Answer by rissa1789 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• a dr told me that there is a hormone in mirena that prevents any fertilized eggs from implanting. i gotta know does it hurt and someone told me that they give you a shot down there to numb it first. is that true
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Reply I did get pregnant twice while on Mirena...I miscarried with both pregnancies, and had it removed yesterday for that very reason.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 8:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• BTW...No having it inserted and removed doesn't hurt at all...it feels just like having your pap done. There is no shot for pain, because it only takes about 2 seconds to insert and it doesn't hurt.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 8:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• SThompson, no it didn't hurt and no them didn't numb me either. It was just a little pressure that was all.
    Anonymous

• Megmckn, thanks. Wow, now I am having second thought about keeping mine as well. I guess we will see in about a week and a half. That's awful. But thank you for sharing that with me, I appreciate it.
    Anonymous

• thanks guys i sent you a message meg
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Your tricking yourself into feeling preggo, if you think your fat eventually youll gain weight get it?
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Armywife, who the heck said I was tricking myself into feeling pregnant. I was worried about the fact, if I am, would I have a miscarriage more than anything, if you didn't have anything to contribute to the question then why did you answer it?
    Anonymous