My Mom is mad because I dont want my daughter to stay the night with her or let her take her for the day. Im probably being overprotective, but Im not ready to let her do this. But I do however let my dad and step mom keep her and take her. My mom lives farther away and my dad is 5 minutes away and Im not comfortable with my child being so far. Am I wrong for feeling this way.(I do trust my mom and step dad and I have no issues with them)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think you need to trust your mom, she raised you right? She obviously did a good job because you are obviously a caring mother. Trust her and have a nice night out with your hubby!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:23 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It is understandable do little by little let them take her for a few hours here and there. I can understand that she feels bad about this.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• How old is your daughter and how far away does your mom live? I went back to work when my son was 10 weeks old so either my inlaws or my parents (depending on the day) had him all day and I was 30 minutes away. My son never spent the night anywhere until he was 13 months old and that was at my parents house and because I was in the hospital having my other son. I did just leave both boys at 5 months and 18 months with my inlaws for the weekend when dh and I went away for our anniversary. If you are not comfortable with it then I wouldn't. But if you have no issues then maybe to start to help you feel comfortable, have them watch her for a few hours while you go shopping or get your nails done near by or something and just work up to it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I think it depends on the child's age. My husband had a hard time with this too. When we lived in PA his parents were 2 hrs away. The girls were 4 & 5 I think at the time and she asked if she could have them for the weekend. I was all for it. I think she's a wonder woman and is very cautious. Hubby had a hard time like you, didn't want them that far away. He finally gave in. The girls were fine and they had the time of their little life. The STILL talk about it and that was 3 yrs ago lol However I think if they had been any younger than that I would have let them wait. It also depends on how far away your talking. 30 min to an hour? 2 hrs? 10 hrs?
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I guess I need to add that my daughter is 2 years old and my mom lives 30 min away-thanks for the answers so far.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• let ur mom take her, just suck it up and call her alot to see how ur baby's doing!!! how old is the baby anyways?! cuz i know that has a part in it!!! but if u trust her then let her take her, its not fair to her that u let ur dad take her!!! she probably sees it as ur playing favorites!!!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It is totally fine that you dont want to let her be so far from home, but what if your mom came and stayed with you? That way she would be in town, and you would be giving her the same grandparent time with both your mother and father. Do you have issues with your mom? Are you scared for your daughters safety? If so, then tell her the truth. Let her know what your aprehensions are, and maybe she can put some of that to rest. Go with your gut feeling though...
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 3:04 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• It is not true that just because your parents raised you means that they are good parents or grandparents. I would NEVER leave my ds for 5 minutes with my mother in law. She does not have a motherly bone in her body. If you are uncomfortable with leaving your child then don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I think you need to let her take your daughter I let my boyfriends mom keep my daughter she lives five minutes away and I let my mom take her she lives twenty minutes away and plus I would trust my mom before anyone cause she raised me and did a damn good job at it and I would never ever want to hurt her feelings, that is what you are doing to your mother crushing her heart especially if she knows you let your step mom and dad take your child.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 24, 2008