What are the psychological implications of my son having a different last name than mine?`

I am trying to change my son's last name to mine as his biological father sees him less than 10 times a year and is minimally involved in our life. I am terrified his biological dad will now be so enraged he will go after custody. help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I feel your sons last name is his attachement to his heritage and his backround. I think if you change his name dispite the lack of envolvement he will loose his idenity to a heritage that is rightfully his.
    tornapartwith5

Answer by tornapartwith5 at 1:00 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• i wouldnt change it unless he says he doesnt want to be there for your child, only because you gave him his fathers last name for a reason!!! if u didnt, then u would have given him ur last name!
    Ms.Beth1214

Answer by Ms.Beth1214 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I think that you are wanting to change your child's last name because of anger that you feel towards his father, not because you feel strongly that he should have your last name (if that were the case it would have been done when signing the birth certificate). If if's because you are worried about how society views children whose last name is different than their mothers, with the proliferation of divorce and blended families now days I don't think anyone will think twice about it.
    uniquecarper

Answer by uniquecarper at 2:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• whether your child has his last name or not he has to prove himself before they consider it.Was there awhile back and they look into there past.I would not worry about it.
    autumn5798

Answer by autumn5798 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008