how often can I pump my breast-milk?

I just started getting my milk in and when i pump I get about 2 oz, How often can I pump?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your feeding and pumping...this is what I do...I have enough milk coming in so that she only feeds off one side at a time. so in the morn when she eats, i pump the other side to store. If she used both sides,. you can pump 2 hours later if she'll go that long without eating. It jsut depends on if your only pumping and storing or doing both. You will get more milk as time goes on. I was pumping 10oz. for a while every morning!! It has started slowing down a little bit. But be careful becuase some people think that if you pump too often it will dry up your milk. And also remember that the baby nursing is MUCH more effective at emptying the breast than pumping so even if youre onlly getting 2 oz. at a time the baby is most likely getting more! good luck:) You can also feel your breasts get kind of "heavy" and that will also let you know. Just don't let yourself get engorged. That's painful!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• As often as you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I mean how long should I wait in between pumping
    Anonymous

• It doesn't matter. Pump when you want to. Are you exclusively pumping, or just to store for occasional use?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Really it doesn't matter, but you don't want to pump TOO often, because, say you pump every hour on the hour, then you will have a full meal in there every hour on the hour. Why are you pumping? If you are f/t breastfeeding, your body will automatically adjust to what your baby needs. If you are pumping to feed your baby with a bottle, then maybe pump every 2-4 hrs because that is generally when newborns get hungry. But don't wait until he is already hungry. If you are breastfeeding, but pumping for backup, feed your baby, and then go pump out the extra.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• exclusively pumping. My 3 day old daughter will not take my breast but I really want her to have breast milk.
    Anonymous

• Have you seen an LC? Call your local La Leche League, they can help with latch.

If you are exclusively pumping, you will need to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock at this age. Every time the baby is eating, milk should be removed from your breasts. EP is hard and takes a lot of dedication. I strongly urge you to see a professional to get help with nursing. My first child did not nurse until she was 5 days old, so it's not too late.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The more often you pump, the more you'll produce. When I was exclusively pumping, I tried to pump every 3 hours, or more often.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 10:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If shes only 3 days old, just be patient...mine took a few days to get the hang of it. and remember, theyre not that hungry for the first few days either. Its a wonderful feeling when they do breastfeed and good for you for wanting to BF!! Stick with it and she will be much happier and healthier because of it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I second seeing a LLL leader or IBCLC. Don't ask your ped or OB, they don't know about breastfeeding! It will be very difficult to maintain a supply by just pumping. It is possible but A LOT of work!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009