• In the Spotlight:

How can you truly know how much one gives to charity?

I see many people quoting how, "This person gave this much to that charity" or, "This person gave that much to this charity." How do you truly know an exact amount? There are many people who exhibit humility when offering charitable donations. How do we know that people are not donating anonymously? Some people choose to openly donate to some organizations and privately donate to others. Also, while some give from the kindness and generosity of their hearts there are others who give large amounts so that it won't be taxed. We can never know what one truly does as far as charity is concerned so isn't something better than nothing?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good point OP. I give just about every week and I never really ask for a tax i.d. number. I often donate to my church without actually submitting my information for a charitable donation. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I'm not really concerned with the amount to report at the end of the year. Just how I can be of more assistance and how money or goods donated can better other people. I continuously give items each month I have not used in over a month's time. So I figure if I don't use it then this is not it's true home and it belongs really to someone who needs it. But I also give my time and there is no claiming that on your taxes either - well possibly mileage but I don't.  I can tell you more accurately about the time than the amount.  But I know it adds up to over thousands by the end of the year. 

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• From what they file on their tax return.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Okay, but who sees their tax return? Other than their preparer and the I.R.S.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If Rush was going to lie, with the kind of money he has, wouldn't he say,"I gave 21 million, instead of the 4.2 million being reported?
    No one could prove different.
    And if no one would know, wouldn't Biden say he gave $150,000, instead of the tiny amount being reported in the media?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Exactly, mustbeGrace...the amount being reported by the media. Once again that is speculation and some people prefer to be anonymous. Not everyone wants to show boat so everything is cause for speculation. It isn't always about how much one gives but that he/she gives.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Barack Obama and Joe Biden seem cheap.

I thought all libs just naturally give and give, and give, and give.
    Just, like, naturally.......like....
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Another thing people have to consider besides how much money one donates is how much of one's TIME is spent on charity work. Handing over money to charities doesn't always say much about a person other than that they had money to give. How much of a person's time and energy is spent working for others, helping others, doing for others? Money doesn't mean much if there isn't someone there to do the actual work. When I look at it that way, I can totally agree with you...we don't really know how much people give because it's difficult to quantify just how much people give in ways other than money.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

•  

It goes without saying that people who can only  give money are less moral than people who can only give time.

That is obvious.

Some people are more talented at making money, somebody's gotta do it.

Blessed are the poor........... all that suffering causes them to be very moral..............

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Um... Those in public office make their tax returns public record. So we can keep tabs on them. That is how we know... That is how we know that Biden is a cheap man. Don't try to allude that he might be giving more money without telling us... He doesn't care enough about what people think to do so!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm not alluding anything...trust and believe I am very blunt but who is anyone to judge? Something is better than nothing. It's easy to blindly give but to be truly involved in your cause is another.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009