How can i get my 5 year old daughter to listen better?

i do get frustrated a lot easier than normal people without a disablity. but yes i am a 30 year old with autism so the way i think and understand things are harder for me so i work that much harder to get what i can't understand

shymomma29

Asked by shymomma29 at 12:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm bipolar and have to keep my cool with a 3 year old.. take things away that they like.. i find that to help.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 1:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• Speak quietly and softly , they will listen closer. I had heard this referenced years ago and never forgot it. It is worth a try. :-) good luck..
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• thanks for the suggestions i will certainly give that a try , my daughter can be pretty stuborn and strongwilled .
    shymomma29

Comment by shymomma29 (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2012

• Give her one warning and if she doesn't do it, then give some kind of reasonable punishment. Check out the love and logic books, they are great. Very simple strategies and the work!!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 3:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2012

• You might want to work with a behavioral therapist

Answer by rkoloms at 5:26 PM on Apr. 5, 2012