Potty training at night...

My son just turned 3. He has been potty trained for about 4-5 months. Every once in a while he has an accident during the day. At night we had been putting a diaper on him since he wont wake up at night to pee. How should I go about training him at night? Will he show signs or do it on his own? Or should I be helping him and waking him up once at night making him go? Just pee the bed once in a while so he will be uncomftrable and learn he doesn't want to do that again? I need some help please...

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 10:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well with my 3 yr old, I stopped giving him drinks after 6 o'clock and when my SO or myself gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom we'll take him along. I hope I helped
    Buffie04

Answer by Buffie04 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't make a bid deal about it. I would get pull-ups for night. I personally don't agree with not giving him anything after 6 or waking him up. In my opinion these things can make him feel like there is something "wrong" with him. I would keep the diapers or pull-ups on until he has a week or so dry. One out of my three continued having problems wetting the bed. My oldest(14) has a friend who still wets the bed and will only spend the night at my house because he is scared he will wet. If he does wet we don't say a word becuase I don't want to embarrass him. Best of luck.

mrsrevjohnson

Answer by mrsrevjohnson at 1:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Some kids just have an easier time with these issues at night than others. My daughter wore a diaper at night for about a week when we first potty trained her and has only had two accidents so far. She has been potty trained for about 9 months now. When I was younger I had a really hard time with this issue. I wet the bed until I was like 11 or 12. I totally agreee with the mom who said not to say a word because it will embarass him. Even at that young they can tell what is going on by the expressions on your face so just be sensitive to his feelings. I would use pull ups too. And as you see them gradually being dry as time goes on try to use underwear at night instead. I would also suggest keeping the bathroom light on so if he does have to go he wont be scared. I remember this was part of my problem when I was litte. The drinking late or not drinking late didnt really make a difference for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my son is 3 also and I havent been able to teach him to go potty on his own, he'll just sit there and not do anything.
    bettyboob83

Answer by bettyboob83 at 5:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my husband wet the bed till he turned 24 yrs old! he would even pee inside of me when we had intercourse! thank God I didnt die from it but it did give me alot of Urinary tract infections. Thank God he doesnt pee in me anymore or on the bed, he took some pills to make him stop doing that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I can only say what I have done...

Stop giving any drinks after supper.

Protect the mattress, and when they're waking up dry on a regular basis.....ditch the diaper. (we use a pull up)

Both of my "trained/training" boys stopped peeing at night first. (freakish? lol)

My second boy seemed to do better day training once I let him be wet....it might be a similar thing for night time, too....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Thank you everyone...you were really helpful
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 3:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2009