Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do? i am being sued for joint custody of a child that is now 3 that the dad has been in and out of his life for over a year and things haven't changed... any suggestions... other than get a lawyer?

Answer Question

Asked by elijahmama12 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • If you feel your son will be better off with you fight for him!!! Im sure his dad is probably just putting in for joint custoday because the childsupport would be less that if you had the majority. So hes probably just testing the system and going for fifty, Why didnt he go full if he want his son with him all the time.

    Answer by tornapartwith5 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • Get a lawyer, definitely. If he has been in and out of your childs life, you need to make sure you keep proof of that here on out. He can go to court and say that he calls his child every day and if you dont have any way to prove that he didnt.... see where I am going with this? Write in a notebook when he calls, when you get correspondence through the mail, (and keep copies) and all visits. When he arranges pick up and drop off. What the child is wearing. How long the visit is and where they stay. WHen he comes back, and again what condition is he in when he returns. Has he been bathed? Is the child in good health?

    It sounds like he is doing this because he is being pushed by another family member, or the financial obligation he has to meet (child support). Good Luck....

    Answer by taracv at 2:38 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

  • Fight it, if you think that's best. Keep very detailed records of interactions with the dad and of visits/calls if any, like taracv said above. Be prepared, you may have to be willing to compromise, where maybe you retain physical custody and he gets assigned regular visitation for a period of time. Then the judge may want to revisit this is, say 6-8 months, to decide on final custody terms. If this visitation schedule happens, it will be especially important to keep detailed records mentioned above. And don't tell dad you're keeping these records, you don't want him to change what he would normally be like because he knows you're watching him like a hawk. Check with your lawyer to validate these suggestions and maybe get others.

    Answer by romeece at 2:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.