Why won't my baby sit up?

He totally CAN sit up on his own...I've seen him do it...he just doesn't like to. Everytime I try to sit him he always pushes back. I don't think it hurts him cuz he doesn't fuss I just don't know why he won't sit! Is this normal? He's 6 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most babies are sitting around 6 months; but every child is different. Some sit a little earlier and some a little later. He just may not be used to that position yet and doesn't like it. Keep trying it and offer different activities to distract him. Within the next month or so he should be sitting up like a pro (if not by 8-9 months I would tell his ped).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My DD only sits when she wants to. She is 6 months. She would rather be on her tummy chasing her toys around the floor and rolling all over the place. Just be patient he will do it in his own time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• he is a boy. he is probably stubborn and he will do it when HE wants to do it. at least thats how my little boy is about everything and its about to drive me nutts
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter loved to sit but didn't do anything else until 9 months lol... She couldn't sit up on her own, like go from laying position to sitting for awhile, but sitting unsupported she could do. I don't think there is anything wrong with your baby.. just be patient with him.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I got my son a Bumbo seat. He is learning how to sit on his own (he's 5 months) and can do so for 5-10 seconds at a time. The bumbo helps support him more. (of course we don't use this all the time we still work with him teaching him to sit without support.)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009