constipation?

my baby is 1 month old and is constipated ... i have no clue what to do can someone help please?????

Julie.P.

Asked by Julie.P. at 10:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• karo syrup (just a tsp) in a bottle
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• GET FLEET GLYCIRINE SUPPOSITORY. I HAD TO USE THEM ON MY SON THAT HAD A HERNIA, DR'S ORDERS SO IT SHOULD BE SAFE. ONLY USE HALF OF ONE THOUGH
    Anonymous

• I would try a little rectal stimulation first with a thermometer. If that doesn't help I would move onto glycerin suppositories. If you don't have any success with either of these talk to your pedi and see what else you can do. We had to go on prune juice at 2 mos to help. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• are you sure he is constipated? my son was breast fed.. and when he was about a month old.. he started pooping only once every 4 days! evidentally that is normal!
    if he is constipated.. you can that him temp rectally.. a lot of times it will help the bowels move.. or pump his legs up and down...
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 10:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My son has had problems with constipation at times also. When I talked to my doctor, she said it's normal for babies to get constipated at times (mine gets constipated with formula, ESPECIALLY Similac) she said as long as he's eating and is only constipated for a day or 2 it's fine. If he's not eating, should be seen. And if is constipated for more than a couple of days, you can try 1/4 of an infant/child suppository, but check with your doctor first.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if hes breastfed, doctors say that they can go a whole week without pooping!! My pedi told me not to worry if my DD didn't poop. Shes goes 3-5 times a day though. but if not breastfed then I would try pumping the legs or you can take a q-tip and put a little KY on it and insert it just inside the rectum and see if it losens the sphincter. Babies have to learn how to control their bowels. Thats why they push so hard when they are little.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my doctor said to try pear or apple juice for constipation or to try to check their temp rectally.
    ashleynicholeee

Answer by ashleynicholeee at 1:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I breast feed,mine poop every 4 days,that's normal,at beginning i did give glycerine suppository a after 20 min he did so much,try it-it works  must be for newborn

mimikooo

Answer by mimikooo at 8:32 PM on Jan. 24, 2009