My 5 week old is already in 3-6 month clothing and they just barely fit. Is this normal?

He seems tall for his age but do most babies grow out of clothes this fast? My now three year old always wore the sizes that fit her age and still does to this day.

cutiepieusa879

Asked by cutiepieusa879 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They do seem to grow out of them so fast. Also I notice if I let them dry all the day in the dryer they shrink a little so they could be smaller than the original 3-6 size it was.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 10:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Babies are rarely ever in their "normal" clothing size. at 4 months, my son was wearing 6-9 months... and now that he's 5 months, he's wearing 9 month clothing. As long as your baby is developing evenly he or she should be fine. my son was in the 70th percentile for head circumference and length and 75th percentile or weight. I was concerned until my doctor told me he was perfectly fine since the numbers were in close range.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 10:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• perfectly normal
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh, and all the clothes differ in size anyway. When I hold up one 3-6 to another 3-6 one's bigger than the other. Same like womens clothing. Somethings I can wear a small and for something else I wear a medium. It sucks though when they grow so fast that you still have those cute little outfits that they haven't worn yet.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 11:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with PP. Different brands fit larger/smaller. Your child is probably just in the upper range for size in his age category. Every child is different; if your ped is not concerned about weight at this point, then I wouldn't worry about it.
    If you are really concerned, you can ask your ped about his feeding schedule and how much you are feeding (too much at each feeding/ too many feedings/ more solids-less formula)etc.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yeah I agree with the other ladies. Depends on who makes the clothes.I had a few so called "Newborn" outfits that now fit my 4 month old daughter. My daughter is really long for her age though. She is in the 96th percentile in length so shes wearing 6-9 month stuff and it fits her length wise but is big in the waist. Every baby is different. As long as you babies pedi isn't concerned then I would see no reason to worry.
    HeartsNRoses

Answer by HeartsNRoses at 11:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• lol My son who's 4 wore clothes according to his age, DD who is 3 is in a 4 and sometimes a 5 depending on the brand. So far my 9 month old is pretty close to her age range in clothes.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yeah, the sizes are all jacked up. MIL bought a preemie outfit and my dd (6lb 9oz) was SWIMMING in it. It was huge on her. Her pajamas, she is wearing 9m and 12m, but her regular clothes, she is wearing 6 months. Oh and dd is 6 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2009