How do you warm your car up?

When it is cold and you are in a hurry, and dont have time to let it warm up on its own, what do you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Travel

• well, i've got remote car start (best invention in the world)... but if i forget, i guess i just freeze my ass off! :)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I still wait or when i'm at a red light i'll put it on park.
    Anonymous

• Do any of you ever rev the engine? If so how do you do it? How long would I have to rev the car for it to defrost? I am new to the cold weather!
    Anonymous

• Well, I make sure to have a pair of gloves, so my hands don't freeze, and then drive and wait. Revving the engine is not good for your car, so I can't advise that. It should only take 5, maybe 10, minutes for your car to warm up, then turn the heat on high! I also would make sure not to drive it hard, with hard acceleration while it is cold, you can crack your block, and that is EXPENSIVE to fix!! Welcome to the cold!!

MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 9:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• my mechanic told me that as long as you start it and let it warm up for about a minute or two, not even with the heat on, just the engine going you are fine...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Actually it heats up faster when you are driving down the road not in a stopped position. But if the windows are fogged up or iced up I wouldn't recommend driving until you can safely see out of them...
    Lindles

Answer by Lindles at 12:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• To defrost a car windshield quickly, pour some rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle. Screw the cap on so it is ready for use. Spray your windshield with the alcohol. The alcohol will quickly melt its way through the frost/snow and loosen the ice from the windshield. Wipe the frost off as you normally would. The alcohol will allow you to immediately clear the snow off without digging with your scraper or having to turn the defrost on for 15 minutes first! As far as just warming up the engine, a minute or two is fine as long as you can see out the windshield!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:45 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• My car has Remote Start and I'm telling you it is the best thing ever! My car wasn't even very expensive and I bought it just because it offered that feature. lol So i turn mine on from my livingroom window and just wait! But what I used to do was go outside, turn it on the floor vents only so that the first rush of cold air didn't make the seats cold when you sat in them and then come back for the bags and baby etc by the time the car was loaded it was heated up enough :)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:23 AM on Feb. 28, 2009