Why do conservatives refer to liberals as....

"bleeding hearts"? Where does that come from?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I am a deeply religious nonbeliever - this is a somewhat new kind of religion." - Albert Einstein

Conservative and compassionate are not mutually exclusive, but there is a reason that liberals are called bleeding hearts. They do tend to show more interest in the welfare of others, not just in America but globally. That, I think is the huge difference between the two. I see conservatives helping others because they think of them as part of their society, while I see liberals viewing all of mankind as connected and worthy of humanitarian effort. This is just what I've observed from knowing equal amounts of both types of people.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 4:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• according to suit101.com:
    The term "bleeding heart" is most often used these days to refer to "a person who shows extravagant sympathy esp. for an object of alleged persecution." So it is often coupled with "liberal".
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think it's silly. Most of the times that I see "bleeding heart liberal" thrown out here on CM, it's obviously meant as some sort of insult.

I mean, really? "You show compassion to all the people of the world, and you want to make the world a better place! Shame on you!"

Makes me laugh.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• dustermommy i have to agree..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Indeed!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• What is the adage--better to have a bleeding heart than no heart at all? Compassionate conservative is a huge oxymoron..
    Anonymous

• No, I believe the adage is, a conservative under 30 has no heart, a liberal over 30 has no brain.
    Anonymous

• I don't know but why would anyone want to be a liberal it's like every thing goes what principles
    do you stand on?How could your heart not be passionate on standing firm in believing in something of value?
    Anonymous

• i'm conservative, and i'm compassionate!
    "Religion w/out science is lame, science w/out religion is blind"-----Albert Einstein
    there is a need for balance in my decision making and my actions
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 12:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I'm conservative and compassionate also. How is this an oxymoron? I can favor traditional values while being sympathetic. Labeling one a conservative or liberal doesn't mean that they follow every single thing the political party stands for either. I'm conservative on some things, liberal on others; I don't vote party lines but with what my heart and head tells me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2009