I am too paranoid to let her sleep without direct supervision.

She is only a week old,and a 35 week preemie. She has choked a handful of times. All random times with no relation to feeding times. I now have it set up so either myself or daddy is up with her all the time. Is this paranoia? What would u do?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 11:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not sure it's a bad thing to be paranoid. Have you tried maybe having her sleep at a raised angle? to help prevent the choking? I don't think you should lose sleep though, it's not healthy. They make those co sleepers for the middle of the bed, and that way you can sleep but keep her close.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i would get a wedge so she is at an incline, and keep her bassinet next to the bed. i know with my daughter the slightest noise she makes wakes me right up and usually i am a heavy sleeper
    SophiasMommy111

Answer by SophiasMommy111 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• put her in bed with you so you can hear her right away. Do not worrie about rolling over on her as a mother you know that your baby is in the bed.  I am a mother of five and all my babies sleep in the bed with husband and I for at lease the first mo.

Anonymous

• I have a co-sleeper that goes right up next to the bed, so I can just roll over and she is right there. My daughter sleeps better on her stomach, so I am always paranoid as well. Anyways, I would definitely get a wedge or a raised mattress. That would help a lot. I have a little wedge for the co sleeper and I have a raised mattress as well for her pack and play she sleeps in.
    Paige2288

Answer by Paige2288 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was terrified to leave my daughter alone, and she was a healthy 41-weeker. It's perfectly normal to be paranoid at first. I barely got ANY sleep in the beginning, I awoke to every single little grunt or gurgle. Now she's four weeks old and I only wake up when she's screaming.

If you want to, you can try a co-sleeper bassinet or just have the baby sleep with you in the bed. That's what we ended up doing just so I could sleep in the bed instead of on the couch holding the baby. It gave me a little more peace of mind. She's sleeping in her crib now. It'll get better, every single thing you're going through is completely normal :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The first night and a half home from the hospital I was so worried about my dd for the same reasons. I couldn't sleep because every little sound she made would worry me because I would think she was choking. I ended up just putting her in her own crib in her own room and she was just fine and we all slept so much better.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Bless your heart,I know exactly what your goin through.I was terrified to go to sleep when we brought our first daughter home,even with my husband,grandmother,and mother here.I stayed awake for about 4 days solid and finally on the 4th night I was so sleep deprived I was hallucinating.It was like I was scared that if I went to sleep someone would come and take her.I think alot of it is just being paranoid and you just love them so much you don't won't anything to happen to them.Everything was completely different with my second child I was so calm and everything just seemed so natural.Anyways with the choking just make sure when she starts to choke like that you suction out her mouth.Things will get better,and I'm sure you will be a great mommy.
    BoutiqueMommy

Answer by BoutiqueMommy at 3:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2009