Why do you suppose there was never any evidence to back up this story?

There is a tradition about Jews being held as slaves in Egypt, and from that story, many conflicts and animosity have remained, however, to this day, and in spite of thorough searches, no evidence has been uncovered to corroborate the claims made in the Bible.

Do you believe the stories are true, or just allegory?  If you believe the story is true, why do you think that there isn't any archaeological evidence of the enslavement and escape? 

Were Jews ever really slaves in Egypt?

From the link:

It is hard to believe that 600,000 families (which would mean about two million people) crossed the entire Sinai without leaving one shard of pottery (the archeologist's best friend) with Hebrew writing on it. It is remarkable that Egyptian records make no mention of the sudden migration of what would have been nearly a quarter of their population, nor has any evidence been found for any of the expected effects of such an exodus; such as economic downturn or labor shortages. Furthermore, there is no evidence in Israel that shows a sudden influx of people from another culture at that time. No rapid departure from traditional pottery has been seen, no record or story of a surge in population.

In fact, there's absolutely no more evidence to suggest that the story is true than there is in support of any of the Arab world's conspiracy theories and tall tales about Jews.

So, as we come to Passover 2012 when, thanks to the “Arab Spring,” our relations with Egypt are at a nearly 40 year low, let us enjoy our Seder and read the story by all means, but also remind those at the table who may forget that it is just a metaphor, and that there is no ancient animosity between Israelites and Egyptians. Because, if we want to re-establish that elusive peace with Egypt that so many worked so hard to build, we're all going to have to let go of our prejudices.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 1:03 PM on Apr. 6, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Convenience (I can sense the dv's already)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:12 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• Yes, I believe it is true. Why is there no evidence? I don't know...I don't care. There's no proof of so much out there that you just have to either have faith or simply not believe. I don't understand why so many are wanting to dis-prove the Bible. If you don't believe it, fine...move on with your life.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:24 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• There are some archaoelogists who claim to have found possible evidence. I can probably dig up a couple sites if you would like. Some say to have found the tomb of Joseph, some say to have found evidence that points to the Israelites being the builders of the pyramids at Kahun (not the large ones at Giza). Also, some say that the ruins at Jericho also point to a curious happening (such as the walls suddenly falling?).
    Why there is not more direct evidence, I don't know. That's where faith comes in.

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• There are many evidences in Holy Quran related to your question,
    " Recall the time when we delivered you from the slavery of Pharaoh's people . They had inflicted a dreadful torment on you:They killed your sons and let your daughters live. And in this there was a hard trial for you from your Lord."
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 1:41 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• There is evidence on the discovery channel there was a series on everything that they found it was very interesting but also... we may not know EVERYTHING because God attended it that way! It's about our beliefs and how strong we are as people! It really gets to me when people say it doesn't matter once I die! But it matters more then anything! It's our souls that's going to a place. It dosn't matter how nice a person is! If you don't believe then you don't go to Heaven simple as that! It's Gods way not OUR way! God wants us to be truthful, loving and caring to be fruitful and multiply! He dosn't want us to not believe in the Holy spirit it is for REAL! There are many, many... stories that I have heard about both Heaven and Hell it's funny how each persons story is more then similar when they explain the details and what it's like and what it looks like! Heaven is exactly what it says in the Bible and well... Hell is graphic
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 2:36 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• God says to love your neighbor as yourself, to give, to tithe with a willing heart and to be faithful be real and don't lie he doesn't want us to try to be perfect for those just aren't possible he wants us to try to not sin and to be Christians and to follow HIS ways not Our way! I hope this makes sense to those of you who may not believe in the Holy spirit! Just because you go to church and may believe there is God, don't mean they all go to Heaven if they don't believe IN him or know him the spirit! It's more then tragic for those who end up in Hell because there is absaloutly no way out once it's the end of your life those who never believed will go! Those who sin, and sin no forgiveness again will not go to Heaven God commands and we should Obey! A great example of that is OUR children! We want them to obey us and well when they don't we get upset or disappointed it's like that a lot with God he wants us to believe.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 2:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• Watch "Exodus Decoded". There is plenty of evidence.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:55 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• I believe they (the narratives in general) are allegory, and have also considered that scholars claim there is no archaeological evidence proving, for example, the Exodus, ever actually happened. Karen Armstrong suggests, in one of her books, if I remember correctly, that there may have been a situation vaguely similar which was expanded upon in the construction of the narrative, but I don't remember exactly how she explained it. Something to do, I think, with Egyptian soldiers, etc, in another area... I need to go and get into my frappuccinos, lol, because I'm just drawing a huge blank... But basically I don't believe the narratives have to be literal in order to hold meaning - it just means that usually the meaning I find is different from those who believe in the literalism of the text...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• Even if there WAS evidence of Jewish slaves and an Exodus, it's still not proof of the biblical god. The bible is historical fiction- just like every other mythology out here.

Oh, and just lovin' the 'god intended there to be no evidence' bullshit someone above tossed out. What a nice way to dismiss the lack of evidence for anything religious in order to keep on believing.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:26 PM on Apr. 6, 2012

• I do wonder, though, if anyone had evidence of when the first Passover Seder took place? Because then we would know at what point someone " made it up". Otherwise, it's evidence enough for me that the story has been faithfully transmitted since those who witnessed it started commemorating it.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 6, 2012