How do u know it's REALLY depression and need to get help??

I'm going through a really hard time right now. Lately I have been really tired and been sleeping all day for two days straight. But the reason I ask is cause i've always been in and out of depression since I was a teenager. I tell my doctors that sometimes I feel depressed and unless i'm having suicidal thoughts, they don't want to do anything about it. So, I don't know if I should get help or not. Should I just wait till it goes away again? It always comes back, thou. Am I just weak? I've noticed it's harder for me than most people to cope with problems. I went to two counceling sessions and she's not helping me at all. She just sits there and listens to me and then says" ok, see u next week!"I feel like i'm crazy, weak and worthless.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Health

• Probably you should find a different counselor, not every counselor works for every person.
    It also would seem that you need to find another doctor who would keep a better eye on you. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 11:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I know what your going through hunny! it is so hard... you always feel like your too happy to be deppressed, or that no one listens or hears that your sad or scared. I have been struggling with deppresssion for over 5 years now, with no help! I dont have suicidal thoughts so i have not been able to get help! I have seen and talked to all kinds of poeple and none of it worked.
    All i can say to you is best of luck... and know that there are people out there like you and that are going through similar struggles! Good luck
    sunshine89

Answer by sunshine89 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yeah find a different councelor and a doctor who will give you meds!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can try meds, they help some. I think you need a good friend to listen to you and help you get up and moving. I have a problem with depression and I have a good friend and we help each other out when we need it. She comes over unannounced and won't leave, she just keeps banging on the door til I get up and let her in. She helps me clean up. She goes shopping with me. She listens to me and tells me the truth always. I do the same for her. She gets into a funk sometimes too and then it's me dragging her ass out of bed and fixing her hair!!! Hang in there Mom!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Okay so I have a 7 month old dd and I started getting really depressed. I don't have insurance and I'm broke so I went to nnamhs and I saw a doctor and he prescribed me prozac and I have been on it since Dec 23 and it has worked wonders! I think you might need to really think about seeing a new doc asap! Also a new counselor. Good Luck with everything. Jaeleen's Mommy
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 1:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Omgosh I agree with shmorris she is so right! You need a good friend! I have a friend who is always there for me for 10 years now and we went to nnamhs together and both got help! We both have dd and are the same age and she is a ton of help! I love her and I think you need someone to talk to and I'm always here if you need to talk. Jaeleen's Mommy
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 1:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Google depression screening tests. Than answer the questions truthfully, and tell your NEW Dr your results
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 1:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Go find a new doctor now! Depression, whether severe or mild, should be treated when it is interfering with your day to day life. I know because I've just begun treatment. I'm seeing a NeuroPsychiatrist. They specialize in brain chemistry and can come up with the EXACT medication your body needs to help you recover instead of just throwing you on medications willynilly. Within 2 days of treatment with my medication I started to finally feel I had hope again and that things were starting to look more positive.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2009