Can I still have a midnight snack?

ok I'm currently on a diet (1200 cal a day) and exercising for weightloss. But I get hungry if Im up late, but I'm pretty much under my daily caloric intake. Is it ok to eat a HEALTHY light snack before bed or is this a big no no ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• DON'T DO IT your body for the last two hours or so that you're awake is in a "preparing to shut down" phase. it is true that your body still continues to burn calories while you are asleep, but it would negate all the great work you are doing with your diet. if you find yourself hungry as hell late at night try drinking a glass of milk, drinking some water, eatting some ice. i have found that drinking 2 12 oz. glasses really fast helps to calm my night hunger.
    jemdreamz1214

Answer by jemdreamz1214 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Calories are calories. If you have some more left, I don't see why you couldn't have a snack up to that amount. Depriving yourself won't help you stick with it.

Answer by Bmat at 12:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you are genuinely hungry, don't deprive yourself. If you are feeling hunger, you need to eat.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• There is no scientific link between when you eat. Eat your allotted calories per day. If you have some left over at night and you are hungry...eat!
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 12:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you have make room in your calories for a snack, have it. Just figure the count into your total. Don't go hungry or you won't stick to the diet. Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• If you are restricting your calories to 1200 or less a day, you may be setting your self up for hitting a plateau early in your dieting efforts. You actually need calories to burn calories. Studies show that people who eat 1300 to 1600 calories a day lose faster than those that restrict their calorie intake by 1200 calories or less.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2009