• In the Spotlight:

Do I tell my boss about co workers who steal?

Everyone at my job tells me everything. I work in a restaurant so there is a lot of drama. I respect my boss but should I tell him about people who steal? I do not want to seem like the tattle tale who comes to him every time someone does something bad. What should I do?

KiaiMomma

Asked by KiaiMomma at 12:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• depends on whata thier taking. ive taken things from work, but just stuff like highlighters and post it notes and pens.
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Money
    KiaiMomma

Answer by KiaiMomma at 12:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• i would deff. tell him that. thats waaay worse then pens and post its
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Its so not up to us. If it is bothering you and if its on your heart you should tell. You could do it anon if you need to. Type up a letter and mail it if you want. But you shouldn't feel bad for whistleblowing. There theft costs you money in wages!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Plus, at my old job if you knew about it and didn't say anything you were guilty enough to be fired for it. You don't want to be apart of that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I would honestly just stay out of it. I know I sound like a horrible person, but the "stealers" will find out you were the one who snitched.
    They will get caught eventually its just a matter of time:)
    Its too bad you even know-this is such a tough situation IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes, you should tell. If they get caught and your boss finds out you knew, you could be charged with accessory to theft. So not only could you get fired, You could possibly be arrested too.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes you should tell, and if you don't have confidence in your boss. Call the corporate office.
    bearandtreemom

Answer by bearandtreemom at 12:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• yes tell.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yes. It is the only moral choice you can make here. I hate people who steal even if it is something small like a highlighter. If they will risk getting caught for something small they would definately steal something bigger eventually.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2009