My "gifted" son???

So my child loves to learn, but his test scores are very average NOT above average in any catogories. He is a very nice little boy and is extremely determined and eager to learn. His teacher adores him, which I love, but she went ahead and put him in enrichment classes, which are for the "gifted" students . She did tell me that there wasn't a better candidate so she seleted him, because he loves to learn!
My question is: Do you think this is a good idea? I'm afraid he won't feel "smart enough" when he goes to these classes. He has friends who are in these enrichment classes and they are very very bright! I don't think my child is dumb I just know hes an average student and I am afraid he could get discouraged in this class. I don't want to ask the teacher, because I don't want her to think like I am trying to deprive him of something or that I don't believe in him. What do you think? cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So the teacher who sees him in class on a daily basis, who grades his tests, who knows his level of class participation wants to give him an opportunity to stretch his wings.

You list some valid concerns, but how are you to know what he can do if you don't allow him to try to spread those wings? Just because you think he's an "average" student doesn't mean he can't do more work! I was considered "average" in school...I was not allowed to "fly". My teacher wanted to move me up to second grade and my parents didn't allow it. I stopped trying. I stayed average, I didn't do any more work than was necessary to maintain an average grade.

When I moved on to college, the Honor's professor came to me to begin Honor's classes with her!! The work was harder and there was more of it...but I pulled a 4.0 in those classes!

You won't know what he is capable of unless you let him try.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Will he be fine in these classes? Or do you feel he could become discouraged?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Sometimes teachers put children in these classes to challenge them more. I think it's a good thing. I would monitor his progress and his attitude. If you find that he is getting frustrated too much, then I would re examine the situation.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 12:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it's good to challenge him. DON'T compare him to the other kids in the class, but if he starts to feel frustrated and overwhelmed, then I would consider not leaving him there.

Something we have taught our kids, and might help your son, is this - "Failure is acceptable, but apathy is NOT."

Meaning, don't be afraid to reach for the stars, to push your boundaries, and try things that seem hard. You might fail, and that's ok, because you will know you tried, and who knows, you might succeed :-) BUT - if you don't try, and are just apathetic and not willing to go for things, then you will ALWAYS fail.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• This is a great opportunity. If she sees he's able to grasp concepts quickly, and is perhaps getting bored in class, she is trying to provide him the best education by differentiating the instruction to help him stretch to his full ability.
    If something becomes too difficult for him, he gets frustrated, or begins to not like these accelerated classes, I'd certainly step in and say something.
    However, it sounds like he has a good teacher who is trying to make sure each of her students gets what they need.
    Also, sometimes the kids who seem average are actually the ones who become the most successful given the right circumstances.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2009