should an AA mom take her 9 yr along to her adult AA meetings?

Angie is going to meetings every nite.. her daughter lives with me,grandma ( angie abandoned her for 2 1/2 yrs.. shows up now and takes her daughter for a overnite on a weekend but tonight i called to say g'nite and find out she is at an AA meeting with her mom.. too much info for a nine yr. old?

mifairlady

Asked by mifairlady at 1:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't do it! Let the 9 year old be a 9 year old I think those meetings are a little deep. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• yea might be a little much but I do beleive there are support groups for children of alcoholics. Good luck with everything.
    alinzasmommy

Answer by alinzasmommy at 1:16 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• yeah wouldnt a 9 year old be bored?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Don't they talk about some pretty intense stuff at AA meetings? I've never been to one, but I can't imagine that would be a healthy environment for a child.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I will both understand how you feel about it, however I will tell you from my own expierence that when my daughter was younger it was me that was in recovery and I use to take her with me, it was good for her. I strongly believe that. She is now 12 and has had a few friends from back then, the other mothers and I would talk and know what we were going through, the kids I believe comprehend and understand the dangers or drugs or drinking, whatever the case may be. She has now heard the bad of using and the good of unity and recovery. It makes them stronger and opens their minds to the fact that it too could happen to them. I wont go on and on but it is something I will talk more in depth to you about if you want. God bless you and your caring soul.
    twindelight

Answer by twindelight at 1:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I think it's good for her to learn all she can and how to relate with others in all walks of life.
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 1:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My mom took me to her NA meeting with her one time. It helped me under stand what she was going through everyday, and realise that she in fact needed my support not my judgement. I was and am very greatful that my mom took me, I was 10 so a year older. If she can handle hearing the truth she should be aloud to go, it cant harm her in anyway...in fact I think it will help her realize that alcohol and drugs are a huge problem and give her a very good reason to stay away from them
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• AA meetings could be very shocking for a child that young. But I think it's better for the 9yr old girl to go w/her (if she doesn't have means for babysitting) than for the mother to not go at all. Her mother being addicted to alcohol will harm her more.
    ilovebooksfan

Answer by ilovebooksfan at 1:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I agree with twindelight, Also, 9 years old these days is like a 12 year old back in our day. I would prefer the child know what mom is going through and perhaps even fear becoming an alcoholic because of it.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Why not? I went to AA meetings with my grandparents when I was around that age and it didn't have a negative affect on me. I don't drink, use drugs or smoke and never have. I understood the impact of AA at that age and it made me realize that I never wanted to start on that path. Yes, even at 9-10 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2009