What can I do to take my mind of the stress?

So I'm 18 years old, Im a new mom (Riley was born 3 weeks ago today!) and my husband just left for Basic Combat Training (army). Im trying really hard not to get the baby blues and all that but its really hard.
Ive been having trouble breast feeding, so I just pump (i dont want to use formula at all) but Riley eats SO MUCH that I have to pump ALL THE TIME. So not only do I feel like I cant go anywhere, even if I could I have no friends. :(
I need something (that doesnt cost money) to get my mind off things for a while. Ive tried reading, watching tv or movies and none of that seems to work (I get bored of it).
Any suggestions?

ArmyWifeNewMom

Asked by ArmyWifeNewMom at 1:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• R ur nipple is cracking? I went through that. U can ask ur doc 4some nipple cream. I know u don't friends but do u have family? U need mommy time even a few hours! That really helped me. I'd go grocery shopping, get a manicure/pedicure or walk the mall so i was by myself. U could look in2 a mothers day out daycare. That way ur only paying 4the time ur childs there. It's good 2get out of the house at all. Could go 4a walk n neighborhood, mall or walmart. I scrapbook. All u need is paper, markers &pictures. I made cards 4birthdays, christmas, v-day, ext. I'd make them early. I journal 4my daughter. I write things like the birth, her schedule, things she's learning . .It'll be fun 2read later on. Between cleaning house, projects, tv shows, computer time, baby time &sleep it helped me forget that i had just moved 2a new town &had no friends or family around. Don't 4get 2take time 4urself! It's important.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 6:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Walking will be wonderful. It will keep you busy and the endorphins will make you feel good. Have you joined any of the breastfeeding groups on here yet? You should give it a try. You're going to wear yourself out pumping all the time. Don't give up! You could also try your local library. Maybe they have a storytime. Some libraries offer classes or they have listings for mommy and me groups. Good luck!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You could also try journaling.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I feel your pain, the first few weeks with my son I kept thinking "What did I get myself into?" On the positive side it really does get better. Its ok if you don't believe me, I didn't believe people either.
    As for breastfeeding, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I always found that improved my output. Also can you see a lactation consultant? Or check out "The Nursing Mother's Companion: Revised Edition" by Kathleen Huggins
    Finally look for local mom groups. Meetups.com is an amazing site that I used to find my mommy group. Getting out the house for stroller walks, chats at coffee shops, and playing the park really made it easier to cope. Not to mention other moms to lean on for support.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Connect with some Army moms. Talk to a breastfeeding consultant about your baby too. Pumping could get exhausting and its really great to just whip it out sometimes...especially for those night feedings.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Ive seen a lactation consultant 4 times!!! lol. and trust me ive TRIED like a million times but it hurts so bad that I always end up in tears. :(
    As for groups... i dont know...im really shy when it comes to those type of things. :(
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 2:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah I'm shy like that too. Try making some connections on here with young moms from your area. You could get to know them here then maybe meet up for lunch with them one day.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Yeah if it hurts that bad then just go to breastmilk from the bottle. At least he'll be getting all those great nutrients from you.
    MamaChamp

• If it hurts then the latch is bad. Correct your latch. Yes, it WILL hurt for a couple of days- your nipples are not used to being sucked in that way.. But with the correct latch, it will clear up within about 3-4 days..
    Also, realize that you've gotten him used to a bottle nipple- this means lazier feeds, it will take WORK for him to get it out of your breast..
    Really, why put yourself through the monotony of pumping if you don't have to? If you want to breastfeed, then fight through it and do it. If nothing else, it gives you something to do.. But in the end, it'll free up so much more time once you establish a correct latch.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• And why not visit your friends and family?
    If you live away from them, this is the perfect time to move home.
    My DH works out of province most of the month, and when he did that, I moved away from where we grew up, and followed my mom 200kms away (she moved the year I gave birth to my first DD).. I knew I couldn't get through without her support.. I don't have many friends around here, I rarely get out of bed early enough for playgroups, but I'm pretty satisfied overall.. I just go with the flow of whatever my kids need for the day.. Sometimes something as simple as walking to get the mail is enough..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 3:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2009